I've heard of open-works, but open-spring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

I've heard of open-works, but open-spring?

Post by phonophan79 »

Is that the spring all out in the open coiled like that?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/m ... 67009.html
Attachments
craigslist ad.JPG

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: I've heard of open-works, but open-spring?

Post by bbphonoguy »

Given the cheapness of the construction, and even the diaphragm appears to be tin, my guess is that this was either a toy, or a premium given to kids who sold enough magazine subscriptions or something.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That is indeed the mainspring, and several phonographs over the years employed a similar design without a barrel (the 1896-97 Type A Graphophone and all Edison Gems among them).

The machine pictured in the Craigslist post was offered by A.B. Cummings of Attleboro, Massachusetts in 1923 as the "Toy Model No. 101" to retail at $3.50. It winds with a key through the turntable. (I have an identical one here - - and owned it since 1969.) The same phonograph with a larger crank-wound motor was available as the "Toy Model No. 103" to retail at $5.50. The base stamping has several "extra" holes to accommodate either motor.

George P.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

When springs aren't in barrels, the cranks or keys unwind as the mechanism runs.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes working on an Edison Gem easy, if you need to add some grease to the spring, or clean it up. No spring barrels to fool around with.