Intresting cabinet on eBay ... Premier ?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Intresting cabinet on eBay ... Premier ?

Post by phonophan79 »

I don't think I'd want the thing in my house, but i've never seen it before and it is kinda nice looking. Looks like an upright piano almost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0405346332

FROM THE AUCTION:

I was told that this is a Premier Record Player that depicts a piano styling with cabinet below. I have never seen one like this any where else. I believe it is a very RARE piece. It was made in the early 1900's, I think about 1904. Cabinet is in good shape with a couple of scratches. It has been in my home on display till recently. There is a needle drawer, speed knob and crank. I do not have the key for the lower cabinet. The material in top does need some repair as it has a tear or has just come apart with age, as it is very old. This would be a great piece for some ones collection or a great display item. There is No Reserve. I will accept PayPal or (U.S.) cash upon pickup (in timely manner). I have been a collector of Victrolas and phonographs for many years and no longer have the space to keep them. It is an original. It will be a local Pickup Item only. Bidders inside the cont. U.S. only. If you have any questions feel free to E-mail. Thank You.
Attachments
pic.jpg

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Intresting cabinet on eBay ... Premier ?

Post by JohnM »

Well, he's way off on his date. 'Premier' was one of the 'post-1917' companies. I've seen a few of these pianos over the years, as well as other models. I just sold one recently -- an upright with a hinged half-lid and needle storage drawer. 'Premier' cabinets -- while typically unusual and sometimes intricate -- are rather light-weight affairs of veneer over secondary woods. They have a nasty habit of dropping off trim pieces and such, and de-laminating when the glue fails.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Kind of reminds me of the Columbia Symphony Grand Graphophone of 1907. That was Columbia's initial answer to the Victor Victrola.
Columbia Symphony Grand.JPG
FROM: http://books.google.com/books?id=QEkAAA ... ne&f=false

Edited --I finally figured out how to copy the whole add using the "Clip" feature on the Google books site. Click (or double-click) on the ad to open the full size copy--
Last edited by OrthoFan on Sat May 15, 2010 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Nice ad, Ortho!

Anyone have or hear one of these?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

If my memory serves correct, I think Moo from the old board had one. I think it was the Columbia version & he did a spot light on it, on the old OTVMMB.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Here are a few photos of the one on the MrVictor -- http://mrvictor.com/ -- site:

He also has some photos of the Symphony model which came out at the same time as the Symphony Grand.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Over ten years ago, a couple of bald guys wrote a book called Discovering Antique Phonographs, which included photos of a Columbia "Symphony Upright." In 2001, their next book, Phonographs with Flair, was published. It included photos of a "Symphony Grand." I'm cut to the quick to learn that there are collectors still looking for antique phonographs without benefit of the knowledge contained in these and other books! :lol:

There are several examples of the "Symphony Grand" around. The "Symphony Upright" is rarer - - I know of only 2 examples.

George P.
Attachments
symgrand001.jpg
symupright001.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

The Symphony upright is a strange looking beast. I'm not surprise that so few remain.
Now that I see the Symphony grand, I think that Moo's was a different model/brand?? It looked prettier, althoght that might have been because his machine was oak.