Post by JohnM »

"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: What is this thing?

Post by OrthoFan »

RCA-Victor Co., Inc.

Radiola-Automatic Electrola, RAE-59

RCA-Victor incorporated several new features into their deluxe radio-phonograph, for 1932 (introduced in late 1931.) Though the Microsynchronous receiver was still used in the lower-cost models, the RAE-59 had a newly designed ten-tube superheterodyne with Push-Pull 47s for greater audio power. The phonograph had a two-speed automatic changer that would continuously cycle through a stack of ten, 10" records loaded into the "magazine." The design of the changer allowed only a single side of each record to be played during the cycle which allowed about 35 minutes of music with 78RPM records and two and a half hours of music with RCA's new Program Transcription Long-Playing records. The new PTs were 10" in diameter and ran at 33.3RPM, featuring both popular and classical music. The changer would continue to play through the ten records as long as the user didn't interupt the cycle, however 78RPM records and PTs could not be intermixed on the automatic cycle. Additionally, one could make recordings off of the radio or using the "studio quality" double button microphone onto RCA Pre-grooved recording discs, (introduced in 1930.) The recording time was increased as the new pre-grooved discs were ten inches in diameter. The RAE-59 sold for a hefty $350.00 at a time when many manufacturers had trouble finding buyers for $50.00 radios.

------------------------------

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Thanks O_F! I could tell it was RCA by the tone-arm, but other than that, I was out of my knowledge base.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

If they want to attract a buyer at $900.00 you'd think they'd be a little more generous with photographs and the description. At least they do offer information to anyone who calls them.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

I really like the shape of these GE cobra arms, they are really impressive to look at.