New amberola 30 project

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

New amberola 30 project

Post by Mormon S »

Just got myself a nice summer project! I'm going to try and resurrect this amberola 30, it seems to me like someone did an ameture restoration in the 80s. I'm going to refinish and "repaint" the bedplate (with asphaltum).

A few questions. Did this originally have a golden oak finish like some of the early amberola 30s?

About the veneer chips, should I replace the whole veneer panel, or wood fill it and make a fake wood grain with grain filler?

Thanks
Martin
Attachments
received_368922933830782.jpeg
received_396268067642707.jpeg
received_2102532496705530.jpeg
received_685025655250425.jpeg
received_2310014602389797.jpeg
received_590449184698059.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: New amberola 30 project

Post by Jerry B. »

The area around the decal under the lid should give clues about the original finish unless it has been over sprayed etc. I don't think the ID tag was ever attached to the outside of the machine. Sometimes they were hidden a bit and were next to the horn on the right inside the horn area. I've always thought the black reproducer was an indication of a later amberola. Hope this helps. Jerry B.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Jerry B. wrote:The area around the decal under the lid should give clues about the original finish unless it has been over sprayed etc. I don't think the ID tag was ever attached to the outside of the machine. Sometimes they were hidden a bit and were next to the horn on the right inside the horn area. I've always thought the black reproducer was an indication of a later amberola. Hope this helps. Jerry B.
Yep, it's a late one for sure, black painted reproducer (not pot metal), no speed control, no hole for an id plate to the right of the horn, no back decal.

Martin

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I see it's the rare socket wrench winding model. :) Is the crank next to the horn correct? I have a horn in the attic that's for a 30 or 50. What is the diameter of the horn if you'd like to replace yours?

Jerry Blais

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Mormon S wrote:...black painted reproducer (not pot metal)...

Martin

Yes, pot metal.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

JerryVan wrote:
Mormon S wrote:...black painted reproducer (not pot metal)...

Martin

Yes, pot metal.
Woops. Well, I sanded it down and it doesnt LOOK like pot metal, and it's not expanded. I thought only the early ones where pot metal, my mistake.

Martin

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Ah, The great Amberola 30.... I have a few of them... One of my favorite machines...to play and to restore..

How about some pics of the left side of the machine??? and one of the data plate that is incorrectly on the side of the machine..

Without a pic from the Left side of the machine, It's hard to tell if this is an Early or Late Series 1 Amberola 30...

"About the veneer chips, should I replace the whole veneer panel, or wood fill it and make a fake wood grain with grain filler?"

Neither.

Repair/Replace the missing veneer using used Veneer from other trashed machines.. It works great every time unless the veneer is really shot which is not the case here. I've done missing veneer fixes on Amberola 30's much worse than yours..and you can't tell once the repair is done if done correctly. You just need an X-acto Knife and some old used Veneer and take your time. On your machine, Your Serial Number Dataplate most likely went on the inner wall on the right side of the horn. There should still be some old nail marks there where it was once mounted. If not, Then It went on the Bedplate behind the Mandrel. Later on Series 3 Machines, The Serial Number Dataplate was moved to the under Left hand side of the Lid...which is not the case here with your machine as your machine is a bit earlier.

Get some original Veneer from George Vollema, or from another trashed Amberola 30.. I may even have some..

This machine needs lots of help. We can provide you with any/all pics that you need to correctly restore the machine. It's best just to blow apart the entire machine...since this one needs a complete rebuild... The bedplate needs to be repainted anyway..and your machine is missing quite a few small parts and bits. Your reproducer has also been modified..

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

:)
Last edited by NEFaurora on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I've been told that all reproducers for the 30/50/&75 are pot metal. The nickel plated ones are more stable I believe. Jerry Blais

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"I've been told that all reproducers for the 30/50/&75 are pot metal. The nickel plated ones are more stable I believe. Jerry Blais"

That's True, They are all made of Pot Metal.. but it's a Thick Pot Metal... Their Survival Rate is quite high...and in good shape too.. and don't crack or crumble as bad as something that is made of Thinner Pot Metal..

I don't think that Nickeled Reproducers are any more stable than the Black Painted ones... Not any one of the Nickeled ones that I've ever seen or handled anyway. I'd have say that the Nickeled ones are pretty much the same as the Black painted ones I have found through the years in all the repairs that I have done.

Amberola 30/50/75 Reproducers usually suffer from broken necks (Where they connect to the Horn) the most that I have found...just like this one that Martin has Posted. There are plenty of them on Ebay in parts and in whole if you need just parts..

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

:)
Last edited by NEFaurora on Sat May 18, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Martin,

Nice 2nd gen. Amberola project! The black dataplate & reproducer, combined with the lack of external speed knob, puts it right in the second generation of Amberolas. It even has the fantastic "wedding cake" lid carving--more ornate than the very plain ones made in the 1920s. (I have one that supposedly is the highest serial # so far, but with any luck we can dig up a later one.)

If you need chips of original vintage Edison veneer let me know. I reserved some somewhere.

Also, try one of Herman Wedemire's new diaphragms, or get in touch with Larry H and get one of the good old tried-and-true "Truetone" foam models for maximum bass. Depends on what you listen to.

I think your horn can be fixed. It's tempting to replace it but I think I'd fix it.

Keep us posted--it's not every day the common old machines get the interest they deserve.

Charles