Question regarding 1912 Victrola VV-XIV

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Kirkwood
Victor II

Question regarding 1912 Victrola VV-XIV

Post by Kirkwood »

Some months ago, I bought this Victrola via on-line EBTH auction. I knew it needed attention at the time, so with the potential to retire in a few months, I've begun examining my "projects".

I knew that the smaller VV-XI of the 1912 era had upright record divider slats, much like the earlier "Queen Anne" Victrola VV-XIV had. When we get to the subsequent version of the VV-XIV, they were sold with albums. Did this model have upright divider slats, or albums? And if albums, were they the larger ones with the brass loop at the spine and 16 sleeves, or something else? I don't see any signs that there was anything installed in that compartment, there is simply a shelf with a wooden strip at the back to stop anything from being shoved back farther. This would lead me to assume it had albums, but I'd feel better knowing for sure. My Victor Data Book is packed away, the the Victor-Victrola site doesn't mention this area so I'm wondering.....
Attachments
EBTHVictrolaXIVRecordCompartment.jpg
EBTHVictrolaXIVSerialTag.jpg
EBTHVictrolaXIVDealerTag.jpg
EBTHVV_XIV09.18.2018.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Question regarding 1912 Victrola VV-XIV

Post by phonogfp »

On page 134 of The Victor Data Book, the "B" series of the VV-XIV is shown with albums. They have the brass rings. However, these were first shipped in July 1912 (when those brass-ring albums were being supplied), but last shipped in November 1915, so you might get away with the more common albums. Your serial number is a bit past half-way through production.

Good luck!

George P.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

That's what I needed to know, many thanks to you George! I'll need that luck, but it gives me an excuse to look around. As we know, sometimes we find goodies while on a quest for something else....

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Can't help with the albums, but I just wanted to say I think this is one of the best-looking of all uprights. This particular incarnation of the XIV always struck me as beautiful but not gaudy. Great proportions, big horn. Very nice machine!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I have the E series of 1914. And they do sound good. A neighbor heard it, compared it to the Victor III and an Edison Standard, and asked point-blank why we paid big money for the old-time ones with the horns on top?