Brown wax cylinder radio show tonight

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
WDC
Victor IV

Brown wax cylinder radio show tonight

Post by WDC »

Tonight from 7pm-8pm (EST) WFMU will be broadcast an hour episode of Mac's Antique Phonograph Music Program with me as a guest. It's the first one of three shows all together with different themes.

This one tonight will be all brown wax cylinders, played electrically on my PHR cylinder player.

You can listen live via online stream in different formats at www.wfmu.org or go later to the archive page at www.wfmu.org/playlists/AP/ for online listening or podcast download.

Hope some of you will enjoy it!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Brown wax cylinder radio show tonight

Post by Valecnik »

Norman, Thanks for posting. It comes a little late for me since I normally go to bed by 10pm however I will try to catch it on a podcast.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Thanks, Bruce! It's nice to know to have some audience. :) It's already in the archive and can be download directly from here: http://tinyurl.com/ap100511
Artist Title Recording Comments
Kapelle des 3. Garderegiments zu Fuß Die Washington Post (Washington Post March) Columbia Phono. Co. Berlin & New York, 1900-02 150rpm
United States Marine Band Lead kindly Light Columbia Phono. Co. Washington, D.C., January 1895 120rpm
W.O. Beckenbaugh Sale of toys, dolls and so forth on Christmas Eve Night No. 10003, Columbia Phono. Co. Washington, D.C., 1896 120rpm
United States Marine Band Nearer my God to Thee Columbia Phono. Co. New York City, 1897 120rpm
United States Marine Band El Capitan March Columbia Phono. Co. New York & Paris, 1898-99 120rpm
Georg Robert Biberti Der schlesiche Zecher
(The Silesian Reveler)
No. 55007, Columbia Phono. Co. Berlin & New York, 1900-02 150rpm
Franz Porten Verlorenes Glück Columbia Phono. Co. Berlin & New York, 1900-02 131rpm
Wiley Wiggam (??) There is no Deception there No. 303, North American, ca. 1892 113.5rpm
Press Eldridge Take your Time, Gentlemen No. 233, North American, ca. 1892 113.5rpm
William Tuson Lena-Yorke (Cornet Solo) Columbia Phono. Co. New York & Paris, 1897-98 120rpm
Will F. Denny A Job like that No. 7109, Edison, 1899 125rpm
Baldwin's Cadet Band of Boston Liberty Bell March New England Phonograph Co., 1895-96 125rpm
Franz Porten Schier dreißig Jahre bist Du alt (Der alte Mantel = The Old Coat) Polyphonograph, ca. 1901-04 138.25rpm, („schier“ announced as „nur“ (= just / only))
George J. Gaskin Voice in the Dream possibly United States Phono. Co., ca. 1895-96 115rpm
Edison Quartette Sunshine will come again No. 2234, Edison, 1900-01 144rpm
Dan W. Quinn What's the matter with Maudie No. 6950, Edison, 1898-99 136.5rpm

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

I had time to catch some of the show. It was fun to listen to and thanks for your
efforts in producing it. :)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've only just got to listen to the show too, and enjoyed it very much. There are some fantastic songs in there, and some of the transfers are truly amazing.
Thanks for posting the link Norman, & I'll be look forward to your next show.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Norman...I just listened to the show and I was quite fascinated. Interesting how much the sound quality varied from cylinder to cylinder in the brown wax days. Of course that was one of the main complaints in the pre gold mold era . Dan Quinn's recordings are a hoot. I've recently got a couple of his brown wax cylinders that are almost risque. This one is great.

Jim

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Thank you all for listening, I really love to get feedback's about it. Yes, for some reason there was a significant quality drop, especially with steady speed, when Columbia had moved from Washington, DC to New York in 1897. I suppose that they may have used some spring-driven phonographs for awhile in temporary studios until all the equipment had moved. One year later, the quality was finally brought back to what the customer was used to get before. Also several of the later brown wax Edison's are sometimes very harsh-sounding when the pantograph was not well-adjusted enough. I find these particular technical imperfections highly attractive because they leave so much space for interpretation and speculation.

My next show will be on air this Tuesday, again from 7pm-8pm (EST). It will be again an all-cylinder show, get ready for a collection of classical cylinders!