Gilmore/Bruce Diamond stylus for Edison Disc.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Gilmore/Bruce Diamond stylus for Edison Disc.

Post by fran604g »

I'm looking forward to trying out both of these diamonds in rebuilds of my Diamond Disc, and Diamond B reproducers.

Thank you Steve for continually pursuing perfection for us!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Gilmore/Bruce Diamond stylus for Edison Disc.

Post by CarlosV »

I would like to report on the Gilmore diamond: I ordered a pair of them to Steve, combined with Larry's True Tone diaphragm which I had already tried with very successful results. In summary, having already experienced a substantial improvement in sound reproduction with the True Tone diaphragm, which has a better design than the original Edison, the addition of the new diamond, with its well controlled production, added a dimension I did not expect: the background hiss and distortion levels are notably lower than when playing the same record with a vintage diamond! My explanation for that is that the new stylus tracks at a deeper level than the old and worn diamond, and therefore avoids the worn part and follows a more pristine path. It would take a microscope to confirm that, which I do not have,but in practice the sound improvement is unquestionable. Therefore my recommendation for the lovers of DD music is to replace your wornout diamonds with these, as well as the diaphragms - it is a worthwhile investment, your ears will thank you. Moreover, Steve provided a world-class service, adding micrographs of my diamonds, detailed instructions and recommendations concerning the refurbishment of the reproducer, which I was able to execute with little effort. In all aspects a very professional undertaking, certainly a work of love, and both Steve and Larry are commended for sharing it with us collectors.