What Would you Pay For A VV 4-4?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

What Would you Pay For A VV 4-4?

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

The lady wants $95 for it (which I think is good) but it's over 4.5 hours away.

Image Image Image

"This is a nice Victrola that plays well and sounds great. The VV-4-4 was an Orthophonic model. This means it has a larger reproducer and tonearm. This connects to an internal wood horn for improved base response. This works well and plays great. You will be very happy with the sound. Unfortunately for me it needs to go, so please take to someone who can appreciate it."

I know it is by no means rare in value or production numbers, but I do like it. It looks to be in really nice shape as well.

Is it worth a 4.5 hour drive (at best) one way?
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: What Would you Pay For A VV 4-4?

Post by OrthoFan »

That's about ½ to ⅓ of what I've seen Granadas sell for, so if the finish is in good condition, I'd consider it a bargain, and worth the drive.

You may want to check the serial number against the information provided on this page to see what type of horn was used -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-4.htm

As noted, the earlier models were equipped with the non-folded horn--in fact, it's the same horn used in the Consolette. The folded horn installed in the later models offers a slight improvement in bass response.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Last year, I paid $90 for a 4-4 locally with a 75000 serial number, poor reproducer (race bearings missing), and a cabinet finish that doesn't look as good as this one. I'd say it's a good price, especially if the reproducer is correct and serviceable, as the cabinet looks good (at least in the photos).

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Sounds like a good deal to me. Assuming you like this type of machine.
Best regards ... AZ*

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

New Development.....

The man told me two people have said they would most likely buy it Saturday. Of course, knowing my luck with craigslist, likely neither will ever show.

BUT.

In my semi-local craigslist, a Granada appeared today. Serial number 31,XXX, so it doesn't have the folded horn, and it looks pretty rough....not horrible, but the lid needs a refinish badly, and the rest wouldn't hurt either. Sent the seller an e-mail, don't know if it works yet or anything, but, if it does...its $45 bucks. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

How "bad" do the ones made before the folded horn sound?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

SignatureSeriesOwner wrote: How "bad" do the ones made before the folded horn sound?
In no way does it sound bad--just not as much "impression" of bass as the later models with the small folded horn. You still get a room filling sound more like electrical reproduction than acoustical reproduction.

Here's a video of the Colony, playing an early electrical recording. It had the same horn as the first series Granada and Consolette,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp3UjngdW9c[/youtube]

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II

Hmm. I see what you mean. Still sounds good though. Sounds the same as my XVII, to be honest.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Sounds the same as my XVII, to be honest.
Unfortunately, the video does not do it justice. You'd really have to hear one in person to appreciate the difference.

I know I was amazed the first time I heard a Consolette at a friend's house. Prior to that, my only exposure to acoustic phonographs had been my VV-80. (I went home and threw rocks at it--or wanted to.)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It'd have to sound better in real life than a XVII with an Exhibition soundbox (or other mica box) wouldn't it??

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

gramophoneshane wrote:It'd have to sound better in real life than a XVII with an Exhibition soundbox (or other mica box) wouldn't it??
The early Granadas, Consolettes, and Colony's sound on par with any of the smaller HMV (re-entrant era) models equipped with smaller, non-folded horns, though probably more mellow. The upper register notes and especially mid-range comes through very powerfully.

Problem is, Youtube videos are so limited in sound quality that they only provide a faint impression, in some cases, of what these sound like. Frankly, even some of the Credenzas I've listened to on Youtube sound downright anemic.
What's missing, especially, is that sonic punch you get from the real thing. (Hard to put what you hear into words... :oops: )