A Plug for the Master Himself

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cleveland1996
Victor III

A Plug for the Master Himself

Post by cleveland1996 »

There has been several “plugs” lately for some of the great restorers, repair people, or just plain fix-it folks in our hobby. All of these accolades are great and these people are great assets to our hobby. With all of this in mind, I think that we all need to stop for a moment and recognize one of the all time great ones in our collecting community, and that is none other than Mr. Paul Baker. I have had the please of knowing Paul for several years, and it all began with an Edison Standard with a unique Polyphone attachment. I spoke with Paul about this machine, and thanks to his perfection and great skills, this machine plays as new. Over the next several years, Paul has brought back two other Polyphone machines to better than new condition, and they are the pride of my collection. I have personally seen this man repair a motor that others said was a lost cause. I truly believe that he has the skills and expertise to do most anything.

Search the forum, or the internet in general, and see the machines that he has resurrected...Multiphones, Coin-ops of all sorts, you name it, he has probably had his hands on one at some time in his career. He has made parts and repaired things that other have given up on..Who else do you know that can resurrect US phonographs?

This post is in no say meant to take away from the skills of others, however, I think that we should shine some direct light on the great one himself...

Thanks Paul!!
Attachments
F6B0D14B-DF1E-4C4F-B9D9-CD7CE9C61C0C.jpeg

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Re: A Plug for the Master Himself

Post by Pete Stratford »

What fantastic machines! Could you post a picture from the side showing the reproducers on the Concert.

Pete

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Re: A Plug for the Master Himself

Post by phonospud »

I cannot say enough good things about Paul's work. Paul and I have worked together on many projects over the last 35+ years, and I can tell you with all certainty that no one in the hobby does finer restoration work on anything. Paul's work is second to none. It's as if he has all the original factory blueprints in front of him, and he follows them to the letter. His abilities to re-create period correct colors and finishes on wood cases,cabinets, and metal parts, all look like they're mint original finishes. This is because Paul carefully researches all the micro details regarding any particular machine, how it was produced, and re-creates what was done originally, apology free.
Yes, there are many good and competent repair people out there, and I'd like to include myself in this category, but there are few, very few, who meticulously strive for perfection to the level that Paul does.
Over the years, I have learned a lot from Paul, especially from his kindness, generosity, and willingness to help others. He says it has been very reciprocal, with me, sharing various machining methods and musical box restoration techniques, but I feel that I've learned much, much more from him. Paul is a good Christian, honest, straight up guy, and has taught me much, in and out of the hobby. I'm very proud to call him my best friend. Many rare replica parts, accessories, and even complete machines have been made readily available to collectors around the world thanks to Paul's efforts. We cannot thank Paul enough for his contributions to our hobby.

You will never regret having Paul restore anything for you!
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years