gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Is this for real?

Post by gramophoneshane »

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Is this for real?

Post by bbphonoguy »

I'm not an expert, so I'm pretty much wasting your time with this reply, but it seems too good to be true. It even has the "knob" for holding the records in place on the turntable. It all looks to shiny and too complete. On the other hand, who's to say that this couldn't have survived all these years in good shape? Just because it's unlikely doesn't make it impossible. Still, I'd ask for a lot more photos and close-ups before bidding.

That's one of the problems with on-line auctions, it's always good to see and handle the item you want before making a bid. Buying from a photo can be like buying a pig in a poke.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

If you're asking whether any were made with a mahogany case, the answer is yes, though these rarely surface today, so I can't say how original the one on eBay is.

Some other examples are described on these pages:

BERLINER "TRADEMARK" in MAHOGANY CASE -- http://www.edisontinfoil.com/bermah.htm

BERLINER Registry Project -- http://www.berliner.netfirms.com/machines.htm

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Odd. I bid on it, and was the high bidder for a while - then got an Ebay notice that they removed the listing "so we can confirm that the seller is not putting you or other eBay members at risk."

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

This was a scam.This machine was sold a few weeks ago and is being enjoyed by it's new owner.The machine is very real and all original.It's past owner and I informed ebay this morning and it took them hours to pull it.This be a lesson to the ones that bid......be careful of "0" feedback sellers!!!.It is also the same machine you see in the registry site that was posted.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Yup, the machine was real but the auction was a scam. That machine was in my collection for about 10 years before I sold it on eBay last month. It was totally original except for the record hold-down. Even the turntable felt and leather horn elbow were original. The condition was gorgeous, with the exception of wear on the decal on the back side.

I only sold it to make room for an even nicer mahogany Berliner, the one on my website that Orthofan linked to in his post. It is equally pristine but has the advantage of an earlier Clark-Johnson rather than Concert reproducer, and most importantly a gorgeous solid copper horn. And yes, that's original and correct -- the French catalog listed that option. They also listed an option between walnut or mahogany cabinet. Copper horns were occasionally used in France but even there they are quite rare. The combination of reddish mahogany cabinet with reddish copper horn is breathtaking.... They really had style back in Belle Époque Paris!

It took eBay 36 hours to pull that fake sale after both I and the buyer of my previous machine reported it. The scammer stole my pictures and most of my text, but even with that eBay dragged their heels on pulling it. :evil:

(Edit: spelling.)

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

I just looked at the new entries on your great website and noticed the invitation card signed by Edison, Eiffel and Gounod. Did you buy it from "rr auction" recently?

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

You have a sharp eye. ;)