Victrola electric question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bruv
Victor I

Victrola electric question

Post by bruv »

There is a Victrola VE 4-20 X electric player for sale. It is in nice shape, oak cabinet. I haven't gone to look at it, but just in pictures. Seller wants $400 for it. I was wondering what these machines go for, what they are worth? Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Victrola electric question

Post by Jerry B. »

I'd suggest you visit the "Victor-Victrola Page" on the Internet. The 4-20 is not particularly rare or valuable. Jerry B.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Here ya go Bruv:

http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-20.htm

I'm no expert, but $400 is on the high side IMO. Maybe if it was in mint condition with a nice matching reproducer. I'm interested to hear what others say though.

-Travis

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Research the internet. Start with the victor victrola page, http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-20.htm . Then look in the SOLD listings on ebay. Next, check the numerous auction house sold listings. Simply Google victor 4-20 and see what the results are. Look at images and see who posted those images. If it's an auction company, click on the link. Just remember CONDITION is very important. Just because it's rare, doesn't necessarily mean there's a big demand. In the end it all comes down to how badly you want it and how much are you willing to spend to get it. If you intend to keep it and enjoy it for a long time you might not worry about paying a bit too much. If you are interested in resale, then you have your work cut out for you. Bargains do come up, but infrequently so you have to look for them every day. I looked for a victrola 8-12 for many months and was successful. Good luck with your quest.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

I've owned a couple of 4-20's, but never an electric one. When properly serviced (the usual--soundbox/reproducer, motor, etc.), they are fine-sounding little machines and can produce a good volume and range from their small exponential horn. They were never produced in oak, but only mahogany (unless there is the odd undocumented one out there, but doubtful). Again, a nice little Orthophonic, but certainly not worth $400, in my opinion. Even restored, top dollar might go $200. Look for the usual pot metal self-destruction, particularly of the soundbox and the tone arm support. Both can be replaced and/or repaired, but it comes at an additional cost, which -- if you don't do the work yourself -- could run into even more money on a not particularly valuable machine.

Just my two cents, and happy collecting!

bruv
Victor I

Post by bruv »

Thanks for the help. I went to the victor page, but didn't find values. It looks oak in the picture, that is why I said oak. I thought $400 was pretty high, but wasn't sure about electric ones.
Dave