VV-2-60 on Ruby Lane

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

VV-2-60 on Ruby Lane

Post by OrthoFan »

This is the first Victrola I've spotted on Ruby Lane that was in the ballpark, in terms of its price -- http://www.rubylane.com/shops/funcollec ... tem/090352

The seller claims it "plays records loud and clear," but I'm wondering how good it could sound with the sound box angled in that direction! After clicking on the "Large View," I noticed a few line cracks in the sound box, but overall, the gold plating, and rest of the cabinet, seems in fine condition.

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: VV-2-60 on Ruby Lane

Post by beaumonde »

Not in bad shape, as these are usually found. I guess I don't need another portable, even though the price is about right. Somebody else grab this!
Adam

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

Anybody know what the "A" signifies on the back plate of that #4 soundbox? My #4 says that on it too. Was there a #4 and a #4A, or are they all 4As?
I use the #4 on my VV-210 instead of the #2 it came with cuz I've kind of changed my record collecting focus to 'electric' discs, for playing on my orthophonic machines. It is a little lighter and has more compliance, so 'tis easier on the records too I think.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

I think that the first, all brass, No.4 reproducers were "4", and that the slightly later, potmetal ones were designated "4A". I have one of the brass Victor No.4s that came on a 1-5 portable, and sounds great (properly rebuilt). As well as a couple HMV No.4s, which were all brass (or at least the shell was).
Adam