Victor O advice needed.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Victor O advice needed.

Post by Phono-Phan »

I recently bought this Victor O. It has many issues. The tone arm is incorrect, the tone arm cradle is home-made, the crank is home-made, the case is a bit rough, the round hole Exhibition reproducer is incorrect and has a badly damaged needle bar, and the horn needs no explanation. On a plus side, the horn elbow is very nice, the back bracket is nice, it has the correct cast turntable, brake, and strong motor. I have always been disappointed to see machines get dismantled and sold for parts. But, I believe this one is beyond an economical repair. What do you all think?
Attachments
DSCN1804.JPG
DSCN1804.JPG (129.76 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
DSCN1805.JPG
DSCN1805.JPG (114.26 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
DSCN1806.JPG
DSCN1806.JPG (112.83 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Victor O advice needed.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'd say, fix it. There's enough there to work with (Including a nice bit of provenance!)

It's really a neat phonograph.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Does the tonearm work properly and with an Exhibition come close to the spindle? Jerry

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

The tone arm is a mess. There are extra holes in the back and a home made wire bale for it to pivot on. I will post pictures when I can later.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Here a pictures of the tone arm. The home made tone arm cradle broke when I tried to remove the tone arm. Maybe if I can find a replacement tone arm, this one is worth restoring. I know these models were made for many years with variations. The O in my collection has a different tone arm support pivot. Does anyone know if the tone arms are the same throughout production?
Attachments
DSCN1811.JPG
DSCN1811.JPG (109.33 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
DSCN1810.JPG
DSCN1810.JPG (102.63 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
DSCN1809.JPG
DSCN1809.JPG (91.92 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
DSCN1807.JPG
DSCN1807.JPG (115.01 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

jhon
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victor Machine guy

Post by jhon »

I just recently purchased a Victor O. The tonearm does not have the goose-neck and the soundbox is mounted directly to the tonearm. It has a pivot, but does not stay in the elbow to the horn. Was this normal? It has a serial number of 6000 something, so I'd say it was an early version. The motor has issues, but I can deal with them.
Attachments
victor o-6.JPG
victor 0-5.JPG
victor o-4.JPG
victor 0-3.JPG
victor o-2.JPG
victor o-1.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I believe the tone arm is correct. There should be a small spring that loads into the small hole in the back bracket. The pin that is part of the pivot in the tone arm joins with the back bracket. The pin rests on the spring and provides enough vertical lift so the tone arm almost mates with the back bracket. I bet all you need is the little spring.

Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Ideally with most any talking machine you'd like as airtight a connection between the tone arm and the horn as possible. The connection with this type of Victor O is much less than ideal but it's a budget machine so compromises were made. Also, it's such a cute machine that the shortcomings are easy to overlook. This is the same machine as presented at the top of this thread.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
BB55DC32-00D7-47F0-A2E7-70E3F0ED87E7.jpeg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

You did a great job on bringing the Victor O back to life. Did you keep the note of it surviving a fire with it when you sold it?
Ken Brekke

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, I kept the Leutys slip of paper inside the cabinet along with an "as found" photo. I love a great project.

Jerry B.