New to Victrola Repair

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor Jr

New to Victrola Repair

Post by 1917 »

Hello all! I am curious if there are any repair books on Victrolas. I'm interested in spring replacement and reproducer rebuilds. Also proper (modern) lubing for the motor. Is there such a thing as a "Victrola Repair the Non-Mechanically Inclined" book?

Thanks!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: New to Victrola Repair

Post by gramophoneshane »

"Looking for the dog" I believe is the best book that covers machine repairs & maintainance.
I've also got a video on youtube showing how I do springs. Just be sure to read through the description box as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbPa-VWAzSY

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

The Compleat Talking Machine by Eric L. Reiss (Paperback - Aug. 15, 2007

Available on Amazon for just over $20 also has a lot of good repair info

Steve

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

For sound box (reproducer) rebuild, see http://www.nipperhead.com/old/rep_exhib.htm

For back flange replacement, see http://www.rmrmfg.com/phono.html

There are several sources for gasket material and mica diaphragms, among them APSCO (http://www.antiquephono.com/) and George Vollema (http://www.victroladoctor.com/).

Victor Jr

Post by 1917 »

Thank you so much for the replies! I bought my first "project" and being in a hurry got hosed on it. It's a VV-215. The guy played it for me and i sounded terrible. I figured it needed a reproducer rebuild and he was probably using an old, old needle. The furniture was ok though, so I thought it might be a good project to learn on (i.e. lube motor, fix reproducer, etc). Only problem, after I popped it off the truck I noticed it's some odd non-Victrola reproducer. Now I'm looking for a No.2.

Live and learn though! This is getting addictive.

Thanks for the help!

Victor Jr

Post by 1917 »

Second try at a reply...

Thanks for the advice! I picked up a VV-215 to work on. I was in a hurry and got hosed a bit - didn't notice it had a no visible brand reproducer. I took it apart and it had tinfoil as a diaphragm? in it. Sound normal? Anyway, I'll get the books and get started.

I'm going to be on the hunt for a No.2 reproducer. I'm still debating trying the motor overhaul myself or just sending it for overhaul.

For the record, Walt Sommers is the one I blame for getting me hooked on this stuff. I've bought three excellent machines from him over the years. Only problem is I'm now in Appalachia and can't bug him for advice/repairs/new machines any more! Good guy to deal with if you haven't yet... I HIGHLY recommend his services!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

1917 wrote:For the record, Walt Sommers is the one I blame for getting me hooked on this stuff. I've bought three excellent machines from him over the years. Only problem is I'm now in Appalachia and can't bug him for advice/repairs/new machines any more! Good guy to deal with if you haven't yet... I HIGHLY recommend his services!
I lived outside of Bristol, Virginia for a number of years and would always stop at Cumberland Gap and eat at Webb's when it was still open when I was traveling between Virginia and Kentucky. I came very close to buying the Chief Black Fox Mill about ten years ago.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

1917 wrote: didn't notice it had a no visible brand reproducer. I took it apart and it had tinfoil as a diaphragm? in it. Sound normal? Anyway, I'll get the books and get started...I'm going to be on the hunt for a No.2 reproducer. I'm still debating trying the motor overhaul myself or just sending it for overhaul.
Maybe it's one of those Indian or Chinese knockoff reproducers, google 'fake victrolas' etc. and see if the pictures of the soundboxes look like yours.
You should be able to find a decent #2 soundbox on ebay for a few bucks and they are very easy and cheap to rebuild, and they don't seem to have case aging problems like some other Victor soundboxes. Perhaps look for one that has excellent plating and is (mostly) complete, but needs a rebuild.

The motorboard is easy to pull out and then lubing the bearings here and there. The motor spring(s) might be ok as is, see if you get any knocking or slowing during play. If so, sometimes soaking the spring canister in kerosene can soften up the old grease and make it useable again. I did one double-spring spring disassembly/clean/lube myself, and it was VERY messy. You can find rebuilt spring cans on ebay too, which could end up being cheaper than having yours 'done'.