Is this an original Edison crank?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Is this an original Edison crank?

Post by MikeB »

This slotted crank came with a suitcase model Edison Home phonograph, SN# H25353. I am familiar with the black s-curve cranks that were being used at the time, but this one is different. It fits the Edison, and the diameter is too large to be a Victor crank. Might this crank be original to the Edison Home machine, a later Edison crank, or not an Edison crank at all? There are no interior threads, so I do not think that it is a later threaded crank that was altered.
Attachments
Crank 1.jpg
Crank 2.jpg

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: Is this an original Edison crank?

Post by NEFaurora »

It looks like someone took a later Early 1900's (1904-1911) era Edison crank and notched it at the end to work in an Earlier Ediosn machine...which would be easy to do. It sure looks like an Original "Threaded" Edison Crank from everything else about it.

One way to tell if this was really done (and an easy way to check).....is to check the end of the crank and see if it's "threaded" for a crank screw. If it is (which I am betting)...than that is what someone did.. They took a later crank and just notched (cut) the end to work on an Earlier Edison machine.

If there are "No Threads" like you say...Then you have a real puzzle on your hands!...and a very peculiar Early "Transition" piece! ...Maybe someone took a small lathe bit or drill bit to the inside to hollow out the threads till they were gone and opened up the inner diameter a bit??!??!?

I'm wondering if maybe it could be some weird Columbia crank possibly...but Columbia Cranks usually had a bit bigger or slightly different shaped wooden handle... If you cover the slotted end though...It screams "Edison" though...strange!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

If there are no threads in this crank, then it is for an Edison shaver, the large one. The larger shaver uses this type of crank, and not the black slotted crank.
Harvey Kravitz

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Thanks very much. Here is the crank beside a threaded one from a Home Model B, also showing the interior of both.
Attachments
Cranks 3.jpg
Cranks 5.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I'm having some doubts. The shape of the knob is wrong, plus, I may be mistaken, but I think all Edison slotted cranks were of the cast iron style, weren't they? I can't think of a later style, steel, slotted crank on an Edison.

Also, the knob appears to be held on with a screw, which I'm not aware of Edison doing. The "S" curve of the arm also seems to be a bit more shallow than the Edison example.

mark gaisser
Victor O

Post by mark gaisser »

nope, this is a early style reproduction crank and not a original one...thanks,mark

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Who can argue with "The Frog"...once he's chimed in...lol...

Ok, I'll buy what Mark is saying...

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer