Herzog Cylinder Cabinet Restoration Advice Needed, Too

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Garret
Victor IV

Herzog Cylinder Cabinet Restoration Advice Needed, Too

Post by Garret »

Hello all!

I'm sorry I haven't posted in such a long time!

I'm finally nearing completion of the restoration of a barrel-front Herzog Cylinder cabinet that I picked up in very rough shape at auction some time ago. It being the early variant, I managed to acquire a reproduction set of shelves and wood brackets to replicate the originals. (Tim Fabrizio's kit doesn't work for this early variant of the cabinet.) I used Mohawk stain to replicate the dark wood stain currently on the cabinet. If you all don't mind me asking, and I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but would any of you all be able to answer these technical questions?

1. Where do you get the stencils to replicate the numbers on the cylinder pegs? What kind of ink/paint do you use?
2. How can you get a smooth shellac finish on oak without using wood filler?
3. How are the wood shelf supports held in place? Are they nailed in, or just glued?

Best,

Garret

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Herzog Cylinder Cabinet Restoration Advice Needed, Too

Post by phonogfp »

Garret,

I addressed your question #3 at the bottom of this page:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... zog#p16150

As for numbers, some years ago I bought an inexpensive printing set of serif-type number stamps made of rubber, and these are very close. Use the readily-available ink pads in the flat metal boxes. Try arts/craft stores.

Finally, the only way I know to obtain a smooth shellac finish on open-grained oak without filler is by block sanding the surface between multiple coats (6-10 coats). It's time-consuming, but your effort will pay off.

Good luck!

George P.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Garret,

Check out the restoral I did a while back http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... lit=herzog. In the pictures you will see what I did for the numbers. I purchased a set of rubber stamps that I had to cut apart and glue to blocks of wood. The challenge was finding the numbers in the font that matched my other herzog cabinet. In the picture you will see a wooden dowel attached to a base. I used the dowel to press the caps into the tubes and then I stamped the number while still on the dowel. I bought a blue ink stamp pad from the same vendor. They came out pretty good IMHO. Google rubber stamps and there are several vendors.

Not sure about how the wooden shelf supports are held in place, my cabinet is a new model.

Pictures please!
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Post by Guest »

Hello George, Brad,

Thank you so much for your kind responses. George, thank you for the response regarding the shelf brackets! Brad, I promise pictures when I get the stencils done. However, I need your help with that. If you don't mind me asking - where did you source the numbered stamps that you used? They look really, really good.

Best,

Garret

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

George, thank you for the response, especially regarding the shelf brackets! I had forgotten that you had spoken about that earlier. The finish tip is also immensely appreciated.

Brad, if you don't mind me asking - where did you source the numbers that you used? They look really good.

I promise pictures when the top is done...I just haven't had time to do it yet.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Well, Comcast email is pretty crappy as web based email services go, but they have do have an effective search function.

I purchased from www.stampin.com (clever :roll: )

I purchased the ⅝" Times numbers: catalog U-902503

They should be on this page: http://www.stampin.com/online/designs/alpha.htm

I cut little blocks of wood and glued the numbers to the blocks. By the end of the job, my fingers were hurtin for certain due to the sharp edges. I would suggest that you look into the wooden stamp handles they sell, or if you roll your own, be sure to ease the edges to spare your fingers.

Good luck.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?