8-35x on LA Inland Empire Craigslist

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: 8-35x on LA Inland Empire Craigslist

Post by Uncle Vanya »

bbphonoguy wrote:This particular model of Victrola doesn't appeal to me, and if it's missing the albums it becomes even less desirable, since the albums were meant to be part of its total look.

The cabinet design is, well, for lack of a better term, too advanced. It looks like the furniture that was being produced in the 1940's.
Well, the 8-35 is not, perhaps, an attention grabber, but unlike virtually any of the large Orthophonic Victrolas (save perhaps the 8-12) it can be seamlessly integrated into the decorative scheme of a civilised room. The machine is shallow, not intruding into the room, and the apparent depth is quite effectively decreased by the stepped-back book shelves. The lid is centered, leaving the sides a and a ledge in the back of the lid stationary so that a lamp, a clock, or bric-a-brac may be displayed without interfering with the operation of the machine. The top overhangs in the rear, so that it nearly touches the wall, whilst the machine clears the baseboard.

This:

as opposed to THIS:

or this:

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Seems like I recognise that civilised room!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

In defense of the 8-35, I believe it was designed to replace the Credenza, and wears very well even today as a piece of furniture. It's also got the metal horn and sounds wonderful. I'll admit it does look a little strange with a crank...

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

JohnM wrote:Seems like I recognise that civilised room!

Well, come by some afternoon for lunch!

We'll soon be replacing the "civilised" room with a barbaric one, as we are downsizing
into a modern place (a little bungalow c. 1912)

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
JohnM wrote:Seems like I recognise that civilised room!

Well, come by some afternoon for lunch!

We'll soon be replacing the "civilised" room with a barbaric one, as we are downsizing
into a modern place (a little bungalow c. 1912)
Someday, sir, I may take you up on that kind offer!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Well, as it happens there WAS a late 1940s era Capehart that resembles the 8-35. This was the model 33P9, and was a drop-changer console with AM/FM radio. The works were housed under a centered lift-top lid, behind a false-drawers-front, with open storage on either side for albums of records (so far as I know, there weren't any nifty leather-bound albums included). This is not to be confused with the stately Capehart changers that flip the records to play the reverse side---this was a more humble set. It did require the user to swap out the tonearm assembly to change speeds for the records being played---one arm with proper cartridge to play 78s, the other to play LPs or 45's. The turntable speed change was automatically set by whichever arm was installed, but a switch was off to one side selected either LP (33 ⅓ RPM) or 45 RPM if the "Micro-groove" arm was installed. This was a short-lived design, as 3-speed changers took over the market by the early 1950s.
Attachments
Capehart33P9Photofact.jpg

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

I realize this is veering a bit off-topic, since this is so late, but here are a couple of views of the Capehart 33P9 changer and tonearms (in their oh-so-tasteful mahogany box).
Attachments
The arms resting in velvet-lined comfort.
The arms resting in velvet-lined comfort.
Capehart33P9-06.jpg (146.66 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
A view under the lid.
A view under the lid.
Capehart33P9-01.jpg (134 KiB) Viewed 1101 times