Off-Brand 3 Spring Motor Question.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Off-Brand 3 Spring Motor Question.

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

I plan on installing this in my Cardinal, if all works out. I bought a "Box Lot" on eBay, and this was in it. I was hoping it would work, but......it doesn't.

I've never worked on these motors before. I'd like to learn, and I guess this one won't be a bad one to start with.

All the parts are there, but here is the problem. As I turn the winding key, the spring barrels turn. They aren't stationary like they should be. If I HOLD the spring barrels for as long as I can stand (20-25 cranks) then let go, they rotate violently then come to rest. After seeing that, it would appear the springs are still connected and so on, but I don't know why the barrels won't remain stationary.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

spin78's
Victor I

Re: Off-Brand 3 Spring Motor Question.

Post by spin78's »

Spring barrels are made to spin as you wind and un-wind the motor.

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

Yes, but..

Hmm. I suppose I didn't word that correctly.

As you wind the springs, you'll hear a "snap" noise, and the springs barrels (one, mainly) will spin backward 2-3 times, and 4-5 cranks later, will do the same thing.

Am I looking at a broken spring, or perhaps one what has slipped off it's arbor? I'm thinking most likely broken, but I don't know how to replace a spring. I saw a member here's YouTube video, but I don't know how to "hook" one end into the spring casing, and the other to the spindle in the center. I don't know if that requires special tools, or not.
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

SSO,

It sounds like a broken spring to me. If there is some resistance in the barrel you can build up some tension when winding. Once that tension exceeds the resistance, things let go and you get what you are experiencing.
Last edited by Brad on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

spin78's
Victor I

Post by spin78's »

The sound you hear is most likely a slipping spring. Sounds like a good canadate for a tear down. Especially if you have never attempted springs. And no special tools needed to hook the spring back in place, just a good grip and patience.