Demonstrating My Phongraphs for Guests

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Raphael
Victor IV

Re: Demonstrating My Phongraphs for Guests

Post by Raphael »

Several years ago, while on vacation with my wife, I visited the elegant home of one of my good customers. He is also a member of this Forum, thus I will keep the descriptive details vague, for the benefit of his privacy.

His home was filled with historical antiques of early America, artworks, etc., in addition to many great phonographs. But he lamented that, despite the pleasure he gets from giving people tours of his collections and artifacts, invariably the most frequent comments would center around his new flat-screen TV.

As for my own experiences, the only item in my house that seems to interest any guests at our large holiday parties is the Wurlitzer jukebox, mainly because we use it for entertainment and dancing (I don't even own a stereo system). When given the opportunity to hazard a guess as to the value of a newly acquired Berliner ratchet-wind, my in-laws estimated that perhaps it was worth $100.

Raphael

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

You guys are better at this than me. When the rare guest comes over to my place I get carried away showing them my players and records. After playing the 3rd or 4th record I realize from the look on their face that they just dont care and are not into it like me. I just lose all tact in my excitement I guess.

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

I have been guilty of giving guests much more than they bargained for in my excitement to share my collection and the history of the phonograph and mechanical music in general. With a number of phonographs spanning the early history of the phonograph to show off and a number of Orchestrions, and that’s before we get to the antique vehicles. I could easily “entertain” them for hours. After seeing the eyes glazing over my clearly overwhelmed guests I have learned to take a more abbreviated demonstration of my collection for the average visitor. I let them look around on their own (every piece has a small description beside it), the rare truly interested guest will actually read a few- most do not. I play one phonograph - usually a coinop, ask if they want to hear any of the Orchestrions (usually demonstrate the one of their choice), usually demonstrate the Wellershaus 87 key Fairground Organ which usually garnishes the most interest. If I don’t see the eyes glaze by then I offer to demonstrate any instrument that they want to hear. Only if they ask questions or seem truly interested do I consider going into any details on the history of specific pieces or phonographs in general. When I start to see the glazed eyes, I quickly move them to the attached garage to see the antique vehicles which usually perks them up. I have definitely learned to dial back my presentation of my collection to visitors unless they ask for more - then they may get more than they bargained for.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Up until around 15 years ago, my wife ran a large, flourishing piano studio (we let it taper off to just a handful of students after the birth of our daughter, as we didn't want running a business to interfere with her childhood). Most of my phonos live in the room we had built for studio events--parties, recitals, guest performances, and whatnot--and often times they would draw a good bit of interest. From the dads. The kids couldn't care less, even when I'd crank one up and give a demonstration. I can't imagine the machines would draw even that level of interest today.

Oh, and my daughter? After early on showing a promising amount of interest, in her teen years she has long since joined her contemporaries in her near complete disdain for any physical media or associated equipment. :(

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Everyone I have demonstrated my phonographs to show interest.....for about 10 seconds. :cry:

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I have some machines in the living room and others in the breezeway, so you cannot come into our home without seeing at least a few of them. If someone shows an interest, I will ask them if they would like to hear one. If not, I don't bring it up. Most people have made comments and they are especially interested if they look into the music room. I make sure that I answer their questions and let them steer the conversation rather than provide a history lesson. I try to pick a record that they would be familiar with, (My Blue Heaven, the Charleston, some Al Jolson or Nick Lucas is usually good). I get lots of smiles and a few friends have bought their own machines. My daughters each have a tabletop Victrola, (they requested them). I try to control my enthusiasm as a collector and make it as entertaining as possible.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

I have recently bought a place with my girlfriend. She has 2 boys, 18 and 21. They are into music(mostly rap :x ) but I can relate, since I grew up listening to the "Devil's Music" :twisted: Black Sabbath, AC/DC Judas Priest etc. When one of the boys, or a friend, would point and ask what these machines sprinkled throughout the house are, I will ask them a question. "How do you think music was played before electricity?" I would then show them a 2 minute cylinder and whatever cylinder machine was in front of me, and give a quick story about how music was first recorded. Their reaction is usually :o . I then point out the Victor VI and Victrola XVII, explaining Edison's competition. I TRY keep it short and to the point, having their questions navigate the topic at hand. You can gauge their interest by their questions. Sometimes I only talk a couple minutes,but I have had most of their friends for up to a half hour or more, asking me all sorts of questions. I gave those kids the link via my smart phone of "American Epic" if they would like to learn more.
I usually don't play any music until they ask to hear them, and then only a minute or 2 of each.(Just a sample, unless they want more) My favorites have been "Alcoholic Blues" on cylinder; High School, College Kids, alcohol and a story about prohibition seems to keep them interested. The Star Spangled Banner on 78, and if they like guitars,(ok it's a banjo but it's a string instrument) I play "Harry Reser/Training the Fingers" That one usually blows them away.
My older friends, well, after the initial, that's cool, tend to not care much more than the original novelty look/see.You can tell quickly if anyone has any interest after the first question or 2, but my small sample has shown quite a bit of interest by the younger generation. After all they are the ones buying LP records.

PS- For the pre teens, I send them home with one of my extra cylinder records.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

edit
Last edited by OrthoFan on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdphonograph
Victor Jr

Post by jdphonograph »

There are different things that appeal to collectors let alone someone who hasn't encountered a wind up cylinder/ record phonograph before. It's either the look, the mechanics, the historical significance, and/or the music.

I am in it for all 4, but find most people particularly in my age group 30's like the look and mechanics. The music is a tougher sell, but there is genre known as lo-fi that connects the historical music with bass lines that younger people like today. Its predominantly associated with the 80s but I've heard a lot of early 20th century bleed into as well.

Below I've linked one example that comes to mind. At 1:15 it really kicks in but throughout you will hear some vocals reminiscent of some of the older records. It's all a matter of preference. I think in today's world where everyone has sensory overload some lack the appreciation for earlier music that you sat around and enjoyed with others. Not jammed into your ears while working or blasting while speeding down the road.

https://youtu.be/rjX6tzFiREg

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

jdphonograph wrote:There are different things that appeal to collectors let alone someone who hasn't encountered a wind up cylinder/ record phonograph before. It's either the look, the mechanics, the historical significance, and/or the music.

I am in it for all 4, but find most people particularly in my age group 30's like the look and mechanics. The music is a tougher sell, but there is genre known as lo-fi that connects the historical music with bass lines that younger people like today. Its predominantly associated with the 80s but I've heard a lot of early 20th century bleed into as well.

Below I've linked one example that comes to mind. At 1:15 it really kicks in but throughout you will hear some vocals reminiscent of some of the older records. It's all a matter of preference. I think in today's world where everyone has sensory overload some lack the appreciation for earlier music that you sat around and enjoyed with others. Not jammed into your ears while working or blasting while speeding down the road.

https://youtu.be/rjX6tzFiREg
Interesting. Someone once said that in music, it's the spaces in between the notes that count. In that regard, I'm definitely a fan of lo-fi. I follow several of the youtube streams ... it's a very engaging way to listen to music and discover new stuff ... watching the comments and feelings from listeners posted in real time. I'm currently working on a track of my own (nothing against hip hop, but I'm going to keep mine swinging) which will be lo-fi enough to be at home quite nicely on a wind-up. Hoping to get Don Wilson to press a mess of copies to sort of bring it all home! It should add a new dimension to my wind-up performances, for sure.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse