What the heck?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

What the heck?

Post by Zwebie »

Just saw this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1884-R ... SwwSVdQxRp

Cheers, Bob S.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: What the heck?

Post by gramophone78 »

Zwebie wrote:Just saw this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1884-R ... SwwSVdQxRp

Cheers, Bob S.
Years ago, I met the man in Mexico that was making these very plates to put on his "fake" machines. He has long since died. Here is a pic from his place showing one (in yellow) on one of his fantasy machines. I remember him showing me a sheet before they were hand cut By his two Sons. He made a few different types as well as sandblasted glass panels....another one of his favorites... :lol:.
Pure fantasy junk for the tourist trade :roll: .

I should add, he and his Sons were very nice and when the Father died, the boys had me come and buy all the "original" items I was interested in. I actually found one of my rarest 7" Berliner's in there.....I know it's hard to believe....but it's true... :o. He would go to flea markets and buy parts in order to copy from cheap cast aluminum or whatever. Here is one drawer showing a bunch of reproducers, etc... he had put away.
Thanks Bob. You brought back some fond memories.
Mexico.JPG
Mexico (2).JPG

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

gramophone78 wrote: Years ago, I met the man in Mexico that was making these very plates to put on his "fake" machines. He has long since died. Here is a pic from his place showing one (in yellow) on one of his fantasy machines. I remember him showing me a sheet before they were hand cut By his two Sons. He made a few different types as well as sandblasted glass panels....another one of his favorites... :lol:.
Pure fantasy junk for the tourist trade :roll: .

I should add, he and his Sons were very nice and when the Father died, the boys had me come and buy all the "original" items I was interested in. I actually found one of my rarest 7" Berliner's in there.....I know it's hard to believe....but it's true... :o. He would go to flea markets and buy parts in order to copy from cheap cast aluminum or whatever. Here is one drawer showing a bunch of reproducers, etc... he had put away.
Thanks Bob. You brought back some fond memories.
Mexico.JPG
Mexico (2).JPG
MANY THANKS for posting this. It might explain what happened here -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=27494

OrthoFan

1901victorco
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I am very interested in ragtime. Check out my YouTube channels Mark Ostermayer & Oh You Rag!

Post by 1901victorco »

Sorry for the off topic post everyone, I suppose I didn’t understand. I’ll go find a grafonola group i suppose
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by 1901victorco on Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

1901victorco wrote:I found this Columbia Grafonola today for $55 including records. It appears to be late 10s or early 20s and has no identification I could see. It’s a very odd machine. The record storage inside is 7 Columbia Grafonola 12 inch albums as opposed to the normal filing method of the time for Columbia. There is also a custom key for the lock it seems with a capital cursive E and some carved flowers on the front. If this isn’t a custom machine, does anyone know what it is? I didn’t see any identification inside.
This topic doesn't have any relation to Columbia machines like yours.

These plates were custom made for somewhat junkie home made machines in the last 30 years for the tourist trade. I'd make a new topic if you want to try and find out more information on your Grafonola. Though I've seen several with that record storage design, it doesn't look odd.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

edit