Cool brown wax home recording

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Cool brown wax home recording

Post by MikeB »

I posted this YouTube video a while back of this especially cool early brown wax home recording. I don't remember if I ever posted a link to it here. Played on an Edison Home suitcase model with a Model B reproducer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ2P3tK9o8c

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Cool brown wax home recording

Post by Roaring20s »

One of the better home made recordings I've heard. :)
Thanks for sharing it.

James.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Thanks for sharing. I found one recently with some terrible singers. Yours is much better.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

This reminds me of a repair job I did years ago. A couple brought me an Edison Standard that was in pieces to see if I could get it to play again. It was the wife's grandparents machine. In the box was a few cylinders. One of them was brown wax. I was able to get it going for them and when they came to pick it up I played the brown wax one for them. It was her Grandfather talking about how well the farm did that year and how he was hoping to plant more acres in Spring. Needless to say, the tears flowed from her. This was by far my favorite repair job that I did for someone.
Ken Brekke

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Great story, Ken. It doesn't gets better than a personal voice from the past. :rose:

James.

ewomack
Victor Jr

Post by ewomack »

Wow - somebody's grandparents could boogie! :D

And the story about the grandfather's recording... just wow... what a fantastic find and what a satisfying repair job.

These early recordings are amazing relics. I have a brown wax "Edison Blank" cylinder that unfortunately has some mold on it, but I'm going to try to play it once I get the Edison fixed up with the proper reproducer.

Thanks for sharing everyone!