Cylinder cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oltractor
Victor I

Cylinder cabinet

Post by oltractor »

This is local to me for $100,is it a real cylinder cabinet? worth it in this shape? Thanks in advance for the advise
Attachments
cylindercab.jpg
cylander.jpg

Victor VI

Re: Cylinder cabinet

Post by 52089 »

Rough but IMHO restorable and original. I think someone on the board is selling appropriate pegs if you want to put them back.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Something about those shelves doesn't look quite right to me. Almost like they are made out of MDF or some type of later plywood. Also, the horizontal dowels in the interior sides seem to serve no purpose in the current configuration and appear to be made of metal. There appears to be modern plywood underneath the bottom shelf, possibly added for additional support to the structure of the cabinet.

I'm thinking it started life as a sheet music cabinet in the 1910-1920 era and was later modified, possibly during the first phonograph collecting "wave" of the '60s and '70s.

I'd pass at $100 in its current condition. $50, maybe.

oltractor
Victor I

Post by oltractor »

zenith82 wrote:Something about those shelves doesn't look quite right to me. Almost like they are made out of MDF or some type of later plywood. Also, the horizontal dowels in the interior sides seem to serve no purpose in the current configuration and appear to be made of metal. There appears to be modern plywood underneath the bottom shelf, possibly added for additional support to the structure of the cabinet.

I'm thinking it started life as a sheet music cabinet in the 1910-1920 era and was later modified, possibly during the first phonograph collecting "wave" of the '60s and '70s.

I'd pass at $100 in its current condition. $50, maybe.

I wondered at that myself that's why I asked first, thanks!

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

This cabinet is definitely legitimate and perfectly original! I currently have two of them --- one oak, and one mahogany. I don't think it's a bad buy if you don't mind obtaining and installing reproduction pegs.

The two, small, metal pegs/dowels above each shelf are necessary! When a shelf is pulled out, the two metal pegs engage two, bent, metal rods (which stick up at the rear left and right of each shelf) to prevent the individual shelves from being pulled out too far.

A curved gap at the front of the thick wooden bottom of the cabinet allows the user to easily grip and pull out the lower shelf.

A search of this forum should turn up another example of this style cabinet which was discussed here several months ago.

Bob

oltractor
Victor I

Post by oltractor »

Pathé Logical wrote:This cabinet is definitely legitimate and perfectly original! I currently have two of them --- one oak, and one mahogany. I don't think it's a bad buy if you don't mind obtaining and installing reproduction pegs.

The two, small, metal pegs/dowels above each shelf are necessary! When a shelf is pulled out, the two metal pegs engage two, bent, metal rods (which stick up at the rear left and right of each shelf) to prevent the individual shelves from being pulled out too far.

A curved gap at the front of the thick wooden bottom of the cabinet allows the user to easily grip and pull out the lower shelf.

A search of this forum should turn up another example of this style cabinet which was discussed here several months ago.

Bob

Awesome Thank You!!

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Bob beat me to it, but its legit. Keep in mind it will be about a $1.00 a peg possibly a bit less with a lot of labor to outfit it again. So you have to add $125 (I am not sure how many pegs per shelf) or more to whatever you will buy it for. Tough call at $100 in the condition shown IMO. John
Horns rolled and straightened

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Bob and John both beat me to it as well - - it's perfectly legit. I too have an example in oak, that I bought in 1978. The shelves are made from a birch plywood.

George P.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I wonder why someone took all the pegs out possible for a small cabinet after they sold the phonograph ?? With some work it will be a nice cabinet. Tom

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

If it were near me, I would buy it. $100 isn't a bargain but you're not paying a premium for it.