Gramophone without brand: mysterious model 102... Help me!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Carlo 1963
Victor Jr

Gramophone without brand: mysterious model 102... Help me!

Post by Carlo 1963 »

Hi everybody! I've recently bought the machine whose photos I submit to your attention: it looks like a Hymnophone or a Pymgmyphone, but I couldn't find it either on the Web or in my catalogues and books. No brand on it, at the bottom of the motor I read only “PP30”. I think that the number 102 doesn't not refer to an HMV, but I've found on Ebay the same model disc (https://www.ebay.it/itm/HMV-Gramophone- ... 3616828854), so I guess if it's really an HMV or not.
Thank you for answers!
Carlo
Attachments
IMGP6440.JPG
IMGP6436.JPG
IMGP6438.JPG

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Gramophone without brand: mysterious model 102... Help m

Post by PeterF »

It’s a Something-Or-Other, to which someone has affixed the tag from an HMV 102.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

It almost looks like a 1920s-30s era English portable residing in a homemade cabinet.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

The reproducer bears a resemblance to this one, produced by Goldring:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1775334789

According to the Wikipedia article about Goldring, the company started in Germany in 1906 and remained there until moving to England in 1933. The first three entries in the article's "company timeline" are as follows:

1906 The Scharf Brothers began manufacturing in Berlin, Germany

1926 They released their own phonograph, the "Juwel Electro Soundbox" with a Gold Ring logo to denote quality

1933 Goldring move to England

I suspect you might get some more informed responses in the "British and European Machines" section of the forum, but I'm going to venture a guess this little guy may well have been a product of what became the Goldring concern before its international move.

condenser
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Gramophone collector

Post by condenser »

Hi

Undoubtedly the circular 102 disc is from an HMV 102. If the motor were from a 102 the winding handle would slope upwards (a portable HMV has very little depth and there would not be enough room to get your hand around the winding handle unless it sloped upwards!). The soundbox is German (says so on it) and looks like a Goldring. The motor could be anything - also quite possibly German or Swiss. The case? Words fail me! a Bitza….

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

From a 1914 Thorens catalogue :
Attachments
Image.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:From a 1914 Thorens catalogue :
So it's a Darling case with a replacement tone arm / soundbox and possibly remotored as the speed control is now on the front rather than the side needs checking , and the 102 badge added to give interest , but still interesting and restorable to originality given time

Carlo 1963
Victor Jr

Post by Carlo 1963 »

Many thanks to all of you! Your answers are very interesting and have given me all the informations I needed. The machine sounds quite good after a little restoring (I just changed the gasket and put the platter at the correct height), for me in this case it's not so important if there are some noto original parts. I wanted to add to my collection a gramophone like this, after a recently bought Pathé Diffusor and a Nirona. Anyway, I'm happy to know the name and the brand of the machine, as well as the interesting infos about the possibly "pre-Goldring" reproducer. I'll let "him" know my two Goldring sound boxes...He speaks German and they a perfect English, but I hope they'll understand each other. Hope to be able to return your favor!
Carlo