A new Home and some great foreign cylinders

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OldRestorer
Victor III

A new Home and some great foreign cylinders

Post by OldRestorer »

It's here!!!

I bought this Edison Home complete with crane and 10 panel cygnet horn. It also came with a case of cylinders. There were no photos of the cylinders, only 2 photos of the Home. there was no real description other than needs belts and crank. I took a chance and boy am i happy!

There are some real great cylinders from Germany! Some teaching cylinders, 2 blanks, and a few real fun songs. 2 were broken in the case but I don't think it happened in shipping.

I cant wait to get a new belt and crank.

:)
IMG_1627.jpg
IMG_1627.jpg (151.5 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
IMG_1631.jpg
IMG_1631.jpg (177.4 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
IMG_1635.jpg
IMG_1635.jpg (178.65 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
IMG_1632.jpg
IMG_1632.jpg (201.23 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
IMG_1633.jpg
IMG_1633.jpg (217.85 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg (201.22 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
IMG_1636.jpg
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: A new Home and some great foreign cylinders

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations, it looks like a nice outfit. Jerry B.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I can't read most of the song titles, but from the few I can read I think those are not German but Scandinavian. Grieg in Norwegian certainly is.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Interesting,
I know 2 are German but the others could be anything.
Kirk

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

"Sangen om Ivar Huitfeldt" is a song about a Norwegian folk hero.

Iver Huitfeldt was killed in action during the Great Northern War at a battle in Køge Bugt on 4 October 1710. The Dano-Norwegian fleet was engaged by the Swedish fleet, and Huitfeldt's ship Dannebroge exploded after a fire on deck reached the gunpowder depot. After the ship caught fire, Huitfeldt ordered his crew to remain onboard and continue firing at the Swedish fleet. Due to Dannebroge's strategic position, this decision allowed the rest of the Dano-Norwegian fleet to escape, but lead to the deaths of almost the entire crew. The corpse of Ivar Huitfeldt was later found on the beach in Køge Bugt.

According to the commander in chief of the Dano-Norwegian navy, Ulrik Christian Gyldenløve, the fire on Dannebroge was probably ignited by the cannons of the ship. Gyldenløve mentions this in his letter to the king, where Gyldenløve also regrets that a "brave and talented" officer should die in such a miserable way.

the Royal Danish Navy runs a class of warships named "Ivar Huitfeldt Class frigates"

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Sidewinder wrote:"Sangen om Ivar Huitfeldt" is a song about a Norwegian folk hero.

Iver Huitfeldt was killed in action during the Great Northern War at a battle in Køge Bugt on 4 October 1710. The Dano-Norwegian fleet was engaged by the Swedish fleet, and Huitfeldt's ship Dannebroge exploded after a fire on deck reached the gunpowder depot. After the ship caught fire, Huitfeldt ordered his crew to remain onboard and continue firing at the Swedish fleet. Due to Dannebroge's strategic position, this decision allowed the rest of the Dano-Norwegian fleet to escape, but lead to the deaths of almost the entire crew. The corpse of Ivar Huitfeldt was later found on the beach in Køge Bugt.

According to the commander in chief of the Dano-Norwegian navy, Ulrik Christian Gyldenløve, the fire on Dannebroge was probably ignited by the cannons of the ship. Gyldenløve mentions this in his letter to the king, where Gyldenløve also regrets that a "brave and talented" officer should die in such a miserable way.

the Royal Danish Navy runs a class of warships named "Ivar Huitfeldt Class frigates"
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing that. A perfect example of how one learns about so much more than music by collecting records.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Yeah, I knew that already.... :? :lol:
Not really but great info!

:)