Edison Diamond Disc machine - value please?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono48
Victor IV

Edison Diamond Disc machine - value please?

Post by Phono48 »

I have been asked to sell this by an 88 year old gentleman in poor health. As these seem to be quite a rarity here in the UK, and I've never seen one before, I'm at a loss as to possible value. I can't find a model number anywhere, but hope the photos will help. The machine is in working order and comes with approximately 100 diamond discs. The front fabric behind the fret is badly torn, but the rest of the cabinet is in very good condition. Any help as to a rough price guide would be much appreciated.

Barry

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Edison Diamond Disc machine - value please?

Post by Valecnik »

What does it say on that metal tag to the left of the platter? Appears to be a Model L-35 London no.1. If that's what it is, it was exported to the UK starting in 1923 and sold for 22‎£. Although not common in the US, it would not command a very high price there. You can see more desirable models for $100-$300. Others would be more qualified to assess it's value on the UK market.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Valecnik wrote:What does it say on that metal tag to the left of the platter? Appears to be a Model L-35 London no.1. If that's what it is, it was exported to the UK starting in 1923 and sold for 22‎£. Although not common in the US, it would not command a very high price there. You can see more desirable models for $100-$300. Others would be more qualified to assess it's value on the UK market.
I've certainly never seen one over here in the US, but as Bruce points out, it was an export model. Condition looks really very nice and if it has an undamaged stylus, that would be a huge plus.

Wasn't Alex Kirtley on the hunt for a DD machine in the UK? Perhaps you two could come together for this and a deal could be made?

Sean

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

What is that box on the right with Edison's picture and Edisonia on it. Is it an LP album box of Diamond Disc transfers?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

marcapra wrote:What is that box on the right with Edison's picture and Edisonia on it. Is it an LP album box of Diamond Disc transfers?

Sorry, I have no idea, but I will find out when we go next Thursday, and let you know. We are clearing a lifetimes collection of LPs and 78s. There are approximately 12,000 78s alone, and we can only go once a week, so it's gonna take some time!

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

I bought one on Ebay a while ago for £100 , ! sold it on for £100 18 months later :( The only consolation was in selling 100 Diamond discs with it for a reasonable amount

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

OrthoSean wrote:

Wasn't Alex Kirtley on the hunt for a DD machine in the UK? Perhaps you two could come together for this and a deal could be made?

Sean
Alex has expressed an interest, hope we can come to an arrangement.

Barry

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

soundgen wrote:I bought one on Ebay a while ago for £100 , ! sold it on for £100 18 months later :( The only consolation was in selling 100 Diamond discs with it for a reasonable amount
Sounds like it's in the ball park. As we all know, being rare does not always equate with being worth a lot of money.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Thanks to all for the information. It should be interesting to see what the reaction of the seller will be, he thinks it's worth around £1000! Such is optimism!

Barry

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I've always speculated that the value of any particular Diamond Disc is different in the States compared to the United Kingdom. They are quite common in the States and perhaps under appreciated while overseas, according to Forum posts, the opposite is true. Just an observation... Jerry B.