Edison Concert Phonograph With Unknown parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Thomas1899
Victor Jr
Personal Text: The guy with a dodgy concert phonograph

Edison Concert Phonograph With Unknown parts

Post by Thomas1899 »

I came across a concert phonograph (I’m getting in to the hobby I’m 13 years old) with a silver tube fitted where the reproducer should go saying “BEETHOVEN ELECTRIC EQUIPMENT LTD 230 VOLT 1500 WATT NEVER CONNECT TO MAINS” I can’t read the whole thing yet because the tube is stuck where the reproducer should go.
As I said I’m just getting in to the hobby any help would be appreciated https://youtu.be/wUbCKdpfXJ4 hopefully this link should work
Attachments
06603AAF-1721-41D8-9DEC-30F07874010F.jpeg
521A9AB3-AD54-4BEA-AAF7-7980EE181D76.jpeg
4B32B71A-6E39-4C19-B064-98013A3A0AE5.jpeg
BF3D07DF-ED12-49DF-9B69-9074ABA6AE5A.jpeg
Last edited by Thomas1899 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Edison Concert Phonograph With Unknown parts

Post by EdisonWizard »

Met this young guy on Reddit where he posted this machine and I told him to make an account here and ask about it! It seems pretty interesting. Btw, can you post a picture of that silver plate in the front? Can’t quite read what it says.
J.F.

Thomas1899
Victor Jr
Personal Text: The guy with a dodgy concert phonograph

Post by Thomas1899 »

Yes I will post later I’m not at home at the moment

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

EdisonWizard wrote:Met this young guy on Reddit where he posted this machine and I told him to make an account here and ask about it! It seems pretty interesting. Btw, can you post a picture of that silver plate in the front? Can’t quite read what it says.
I was the other commenter on that thread who suggested it was a homemade case. And at 13, an Edison concert is one hell of a way to begin the hobby, how cool! Reddit seems like a perfect medium for younger people like us in the hobby, but not too many people seem interested. Anyways, not to digress from the subject.

Martin

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

I believe this Edison-Bell model is of UK origin. Maybe some of the UK collectors can weigh in.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

I don't think it's a homemade cabinet. Looks like a modified or maybe a European version of a Columbia Model C cabinet. The door construction and the slide locks all scream Columbia. The carriage looks like it was modified to use the later Model D reproducer, no idea what the purpose of the piece of pipe in the carriage could possibly do for using the machine. I would clean it up, remove the pipe, look for a D reproducer or find an automatic or B reproducer to play it. Model D reproducers are expensive.

Good find, I would have bought it too, if only for the cabinet.

Chuck

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

ChuckA wrote:I don't think it's a homemade cabinet. Looks like a modified or maybe a European version of a Columbia Model C cabinet. The door construction and the slide locks all scream Columbia. The carriage looks like it was modified to use the later Model D reproducer, no idea what the purpose of the piece of pipe in the carriage could possibly do for using the machine. I would clean it up, remove the pipe, look for a D reproducer or find an automatic or B reproducer to play it. Model D reproducers are expensive.

Good find, I would have bought it too, if only for the cabinet.

Chuck
I think he’s saying that piece of pipe has the Beethoven stuff written on it. Maybe some sort of electric reproducer? I never heard of what’s written on it. Very interesting
J.F.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

EdisonWizard wrote: I think he’s saying that piece of pipe has the Beethoven stuff written on it. Maybe some sort of electric reproducer? I never heard of what’s written on it. Very interesting

230V 1500watt reproducer???

They made TV's and radios from the 30's to the 50's. Didn't see any ads earlier than that.
In the late 40's there are some patents showing heating and controller units.

Chuck

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

I believe this machine to be the Edison Bell Concert or possible a Concert Duplex due to the cabinet and the metal tag on the Bedplate "Type Concert." If the mandrel is removable to expose a standard size mandrel underneath, then it is definitely a Duplex.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Looking closer at one of the pictures it definitely looks like there’s a smaller mandrel there!
J.F.