Baird's Concert cylinder machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Baird's Concert cylinder machine

Post by Inigo »

If you could play it... In the links, which I've examined completely, there are links to videos playing the discs as audio, and it sounds like a waving interference, with treble sounds mixed with a strong undulating bass.
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Listening to these recordings in audio is the opposite of visually seeing the sound waves of an audio groove instead of listening to it. The Baird discs carried only the video signal, at least in the example played in the videos. I wonder how did he record the parallel sound band, the articles don't explain this clearly, or I've ended somewhat confused about that...
Inigo

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Inigo wrote:Listening to these recordings in audio is the opposite of visually seeing the sound waves of an audio groove instead of listening to it. The Baird discs carried only the video signal, at least in the example played in the videos. I wonder how did he record the parallel sound band, the articles don't explain this clearly, or I've ended somewhat confused about that...

I wonder that too. I will make a video of it, however I think it is someone trying to do some avaunt-guard trumpet recording, and it was so loud the recording stylus left the record. I do though think it is an Edison factory shaved blank surface, it is really thick, I don't think someone erased a commercial Edison recording, I think it was a factory prepared blank, I have not seen many of those, It though came in a Columbia box.