Screws for winding key plate--Victrola Florenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Henry
Victor V

Re: Screws for winding key plate--Victrola Florenza

Post by Henry »

I just removed the winding key and looked closely at the escutcheon on my VV-XI G, and it confirms what's already been said: OP's Florenza has its crank escutcheon mounted inside out! Can't wait to see what it looks like when re-installed correctly!

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

Andreas was indeed correct! Flipped around and it looks much better (see photo).

Now as for the case of the missing screw, it does appear to be a normal-looking ½" wood screw (see photo). Checked both holes with the existing screw and while it will screw into both holes, it's pretty clear the holes are too wide now (threads on screw seems fine). So not sure if perhaps the original screws went missing and the current one that I have was a replacement.

If all else fails, I'm sure I can probably just get a "modern" wood screw and use that. Was just curious if the screw I have was original or not.

Thanks again to everyone, especially the eagle-eyed Andreas!
Attachments
IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I'm glad I was able to help. The escutcheon looks much better already.
The remaining screw that is in there appears to be of the "oval head" type. Since the escutcheon is not countersunk, you will need "round head - slotted" wood screws instead. The color appears to be oxidized bronze. If you can't find them you can just use regular round head slotted wood screws from the hardware store and paint them black or bronze color for now.

Andreas

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Any chance you could post pictures of the whole machine? The wood finish looks to be in good shape, from what I can tell by posted photos. I'd like to see the big picture! Especially since the image on the Victor-Victrola site is not the best: http://www.victor-victrola.com/Florenza.htm

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

alang wrote:The color appears to be oxidized bronze.
You are correct: They are indeed oxidized bronze. But they do appear to be a "normal" size, so depending what I can find at the local hardware stores, I think it's going to be quite easy to find a temporary replacement until I stumble across someone who has some extra original screws lying around.

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

Henry wrote:Any chance you could post pictures of the whole machine?
More than happy to, although I have to get over the initial embarrassment of the general condition of this monster! It only had one owner (a relative from my wife's side) and it's clear they loved and cared for it as it's in excellent working condition. Finish to near perfect, too, with the exception of 2-3 scratches on the inside. That being said, there are numerous things missing, none of which prevent me from playing records. The biggest thing is the entire Radiola is missing--I'm hoping to eventually find a non-working but complete Radiola to add just so it looks original. But the saddest thing is that the original legs have been removed and are long gone.

All that being said, despite my never having fixed up (or even owning) a Victrola, I'm set on trying to fix this one up as best as I can. For me, it's fascinating to listen to the records this family had and think back to those simpler times and trying to envision them all huddled around it, singing and listening intently. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

Anyway, I'll post pics as soon as I can. And I'm sure you'll come across other posts from me asking weird questions about a Florenza. Figures the first Victrola I end up with would be such a rare thing that I can't find parts!

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

On Ebay there is a person parting out a Florenza----the radio being one of the things (really low starting price) Good Luck in your conquest

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

The seller has added more parts for sale to The Florenza

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

emerson wrote:On Ebay there is a person parting out a Florenza----the radio being one of the things (really low starting price) Good Luck in your conquest
Thanks for the heads up! I'm on it, have bid on some of the radio-related items, and contacted the seller about additional parts he might have.

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

Wanted to give everyone an update on my search for screws, as it were. I was actually contacted privately on this forum by a member who sent me an original screw that was an exact match! Seems a wee bit silly that a grown man such as me would be so excited over receiving an old screw (no pun intended), but I was...and still am!

Since the member contacted my privately, I've reached out to him for permission to "out" him on the public board (in other words, publicly praise him for his generosity), but I'm waiting to hear back from him before I do so.

And while I'm on the subject of praising, thanks to Emerson for pointing me towards a seller on Ebay who had put several Florenza parts up for sale. I'm currently bidding on a few pieces, so if none of you swoop in and outbid me, I know what I'll be doing over the holiday break!

Which leads me to my last comment: Since a few of you have asked to see pics of my Florenza, I am planning on putting a couple online this evening. I will probably start a new post, though, as the pics aren't necessarily related to "screws for winding key plate".

Thanks everyone! I am so glad I stumbled across this forum. It's truly an amazing place full of great people!