Need help matching Walnut veneer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Need help matching Walnut veneer

Post by Jonsheff »

I have gone round and round with almost every online and local veneer store and have not had any luck matching the veneer on the bottom doors of a 1918 Walnut Victrola XVII I am in the middle of restoring. The two bottom doors are water damaged and need the veneer replaced. I have been told by a local veneer guy I met in Woodcraft today that the Circassian walnut has more subtle colors as opposed to the american walnut that has more contrast. I am not sure if it is Circassian or American. I had a couple online dealers tell me they didn't even think it was Walnut but both local people immediately identified it as walnut.
Has anyone had luck matching walnut veneer? what dealer did you use? What do you think this Veneer is?
Any help would be great as I am at my wits end trying to find a suitable match for this.
IMG_20191030_201053.jpg
IMG_20191104_190519 (1).jpg
IMG_20191103_121753.jpg
IMG_20191104_190726.jpg
IMG_20191104_195444.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Need help matching Walnut veneer

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jon, I do a lot of walnut burl veneering in my job (classic Mercedes restoration) and what you have there is what I often refer to as "loose burl" and I see referred to as "crotch" walnut- here are a couple examples:

Crotch:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walnut-Crotch- ... Sw9HNc~lFo

"Loose" burl:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walnut-Burl-Ra ... Sw9hdc~mnx

I don't think it's Circassian but I could be wrong.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

gramophone-georg wrote:
I don't think it's Circassian but I could be wrong.
You're not wrong.

George P.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

Perhaps after i take the damaged veneer off i will send a sample to the USDA and identify the species, they will test it for free (up to 3 samples per year). But that wont help me with my current problem of finding a suitable match. I do know one thing, it is an unusual walnut. I think it is a rotary cut burl walnut with some figuring.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Jon,
What you have is figured American Walnut. Here is probably the best source for veneer in the US
https://www.certainlywood.com/

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Jonsheff wrote:Perhaps after i take the damaged veneer off i will send a sample to the USDA and identify the species, they will test it for free (up to 3 samples per year). But that wont help me with my current problem of finding a suitable match. I do know one thing, it is an unusual walnut. I think it is a rotary cut burl walnut with some figuring.
When I get out to the shop in the morning I will take a look. I have some like this that isn't figured enough for an M-B dash that I was saving to re- veneer my Automatic Panatrope cabinet. They are quite large sheets and I have way more than enough for the AP.

While less than ideal, perhaps replacing ALL the veneer might be the best choice. Your call.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

My $.02: I would chat it up with someone at Certainly Wood, send them a good - sized sample and see if they can come close to matching it. I guess you would need to do all four doors. That XVII is going to be a beauty.
-bill

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

edisonclassm wrote:Jon,
What you have is figured American Walnut. Here is probably the best source for veneer in the US
https://www.certainlywood.com/
After endless searching, I have come to the conclusion that Certainlywood does have the best selection and I am close to ordering from them. I found this veneer on their website that I am considering using for the front doors. What do you think?
WAL_BURL_1612-3A_1-2.jpg
WAL_BURL_1612-3A_1-2.jpg (190.3 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Here is mine stripped and sanded
IMG_20191104_195444.jpg
IMG_20191104_190726.jpg

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Certainly Wood is located in a small town S.E. of Buffalo, NY. I've been using them for years in my restorations. Hands down they are the best source for rare and exotic wood and veneers in the US. A number of years ago I built a couple of Auxetophones. One in ribbon striped African Mahogany and the other in Circassian Walnut. The veneers I used on these cabinets from Certainly Wood were stunning!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Jon- I dug this out of my stash. Thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_0646.JPG