Victor vv-vi with copper arm??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
davidjensen
Victor Jr

Victor vv-vi with copper arm??

Post by davidjensen »

This is a first run (serial no 7861) Victor VV-VI that looks like someone copper-plated the arm was this particular run in the series unique or did somebody do this for decorative purposes? if it's not original should it be painted or replaced with a japanned one?
Attachments
15735052740483018970235311541666.jpg
15735052152232393820011820829681.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Victor vv-vi with copper arm??

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The reproducer is a Victrola No. 2, which is too late for an early machine (unless put on later as an upgrade.) This phonograph has been altered in the past.

To make it more original, try scraping the paint or rubbing it with a cotton swab dipped in paint remover. Perhaps the copper is a spray-paint finish over the original Japan lacquer (which you may be able to salvage. If it is still there and presuming the copper is actually paint, try polishing it after you strip the bracket with Citri-Strip.)

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Someone replaced the original tag on that machine with the early tag.
The early Victrola VI's had a solid motor board, not a screwed down slip in one like shown.
The tone arm and bracket shown are definitely from a later style VI.

Bob S.

davidjensen
Victor Jr

Post by davidjensen »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The reproducer is a Victrola No. 2, which is too late for an early machine (unless put on later as an upgrade.) This phonograph has been altered in the past.

To make it more original, try scraping the paint or rubbing it with a cotton swab dipped in paint remover. Perhaps the copper is a spray-paint finish over the original Japan lacquer (which you may be able to salvage. If it is still there and presuming the copper is actually paint, try polishing it after you strip the bracket with Citri-Strip.)
Thanks I'll take a look and see if it's painted rather than plated but I have a feeling it's the later the reproducer was just one that I was testing out I do have to exit missions that came with it that I was rebuilding

davidjensen
Victor Jr

Post by davidjensen »

Zwebie wrote:Someone replaced the original tag on that machine with the early tag.
The early Victrola VI's had a solid motor board, not a screwed down slip in one like shown.
The tone arm and bracket shown are definitely from a later style VI.

Bob S.
I was wondering about that Bob since it looked like Lee nails that were holding the tag on or a little off center from the original plate I was hoping it was just a cleaning but someone did in the past

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The earliest Victrola VI also had a 10" turntable.

What serial number ID tag would be appropriate for that machine?

Jerry B.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Jerry is correct. Our early VV-VI carries serial number 5969. It has a 10" turntable and the crank is forward on the side of the cabinet, the motor board is screwed down by four small screws. Another VV-VI we have has the crank toward the rear, a 12" turntable and the motor board is a removable insert, held down by four of the big head screws. The third one we have has the crank towards the rear, a 12" turntable and the motor board is hinged at the back and held down by two small screws. That one is serial number 149977f. Although all three look similar, each cabinet is different from the next in several ways. None of the cabinet dimensions are the same. Cheers, Russie

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

From the Victor Data Book by Robert W. Baumbach.

My guess is that it would be either of these two, depending on the height:
Attachments
IMG_8024.JPG

davidjensen
Victor Jr

Post by davidjensen »

Zwebie wrote:From the Victor Data Book by Robert W. Baumbach.

My guess is that it would be either of these two, depending on the height:
Thanks!

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I have just 'restored' a VV VI. It had not doors, hinges or a good crank. A dirtier machine I had never seen but it shined up nice. Here is a photo or two of the results of a few hours work. Parts came from George Vollema. A big help in making it sing again. The serial number is 15429 so I assume 1912. Ten inch turn table. One before photo. Neil
Attachments
image VV VI nice (44).JPG
image VV VI nice (22).JPG
DSCN0036.JPG