Is imbalance in spring strength a problem?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Is imbalance in spring strength a problem?

Post by Mormon S »

I'm working on my brunswick Cortez, and the motor was completely seized up and would play but a few seconds without stopping. 2 out of 4 of the springs were broken, one needs replacing and the other is repairable. I the imbalance is the springs strength going to effect performance? Would it be best to replace both broken springs, or even all four?

Since I will be ordering from Ron sitko, how do you measure the spring for him correctly? I'm not sure if hr would know the measurements already.

Thanks
Martin

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Is imbalance in spring strength a problem?

Post by Phono-Phan »

It is always a good idea to replace all the springs if one or more are bad. If you put new strong springs in and leave the old weak ones in, then the weak ones will do most of the work until they also break. Ron needs the make and model of the phonograph you are working on. He has a pretty good list of springs needed by that information. If not, then he needs the barrel diameter, spring thickness(in thousandths), and the end connection types. Just an FYI, Ron is closed from Thanksgiving until the New Year.
Ken

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Phono-Phan wrote:It is always a good idea to replace all the springs if one or more are bad. If you put new strong springs in and leave the old weak ones in, then the weak ones will do most of the work until they also break. Ron needs the make and model of the phonograph you are working on. He has a pretty good list of springs needed by that information. If not, then he needs the barrel diameter, spring thickness(in thousandths), and the end connection types. Just an FYI, Ron is closed from Thanksgiving until the New Year.
Ken
Oh man! I was going to try and get it running before Christmas :monkey:. Either way, I would hate to have to buy 4 new springs. Maybe a long shot, if anyone has 2 original springs or a full double spring barrel to spare, I would be interested.

Thanks
Martin

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Post by phonospud »

Brunswick motors are NOTORIOUS for having poor spring steel. I've replaced just the bad ones in the past, only to have to do the intact originals again in a very short time frame, probably when you first get it all back together, which has happened to me with Brunswick motors. I strongly recommend you don't waste your valuable time or money on more old rotten springs for any Brunswick.
Ken's advice is spot on!
You'll only have to replace all four just once. :)

Just my humble opinion, hope it helps you make a decision :)
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years