"Modern" Toys with Records for Sound

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
donniej
Victor III

"Modern" Toys with Records for Sound

Post by donniej »

I was watching the series "The Repair Shop" on Netflix and they were working on a 1975 "Dr. Who" talking toy Dalek. When they opened it everyone was surprised to see a tiny plastic record (a video of a similar one is below). Does anyone know of any other toys made in the post-war era that also used records?

https://youtu.be/vlabBPBSpr0

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: "Modern" Toys with Records for Sound

Post by AZ* »

Mattel made a number of talking toys that used tiny records. Chatty Cathy is probably one of the most famous. You can google it, and there are a number of youtube videos that show the innards and repairs.
Best regards ... AZ*

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

There were tons of toys that used a small plastic record. All the pull-string talking dolls, the Mattell Speak and Spell and Speak and Say type of pull string toys, lots up thru the 1990's at least.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The 'laughing bag' also has one of those small record players inside, completely acoustic, with needlebar touching a plastic cone diaphragm and automatic stop and start again device. The same player is found inside talking dolls, etc, and the small records are the same for of those toys. In the late 90's I became interested in these players and made a small collection of them and their records.
Also a boy soldier toy (kind of 'action man') had a talking campaign radio set that went the same way. A similar system but with slightly smaller records of the puzzle type; one that has three different grooves intermixed so each time you press 'play' the record may tell a different thing, as the robot in the yt video pointed above.
Those small toy record players are a real marvel and a chant to the mastery of their inventors...
Inigo

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Phototone wrote:There were tons of toys that used a small plastic record. All the pull-string talking dolls, the Mattell Speak and Spell and Speak and Say type of pull string toys, lots up thru the 1990's at least.

https://youtu.be/nvinko_YAvI

My brother and I had a “Voice Control Kennedy Airport”. The control tower could be fitted with little styrene puzzle plates which would give air traffic control commands, the reproducer was a simple thing, a plastic housing with a thin plastic diaphragm and a steel point. I remember using the ear phone later on, with my first Automatic reproducer.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

These systems are very interesting. Fabricated with cheap plastic materials they don't last too long ---well, some them have lasted for 35 years now, as plastic of yesterday may be better than that of today, with the scheduled obsolescence so much spread around. Different types are to be found as per different toymakers. The airport toy you have pointed at looks pretty similar to the Wachtower phonograph, with a linear tracking system. Others I've seen have a plastic tone bar that rotates as a normal tonearm, that has a steel point at the end. It follows the grooves while little yellow metal (brass?) strips cleverly designed at the end of the tone bar run across the record, act as electrical switches, pushed by the tone bar movement. At the end of the record, the device stops, with the needle engaged in the runout groove. Pressing a button releases the tone bar up off the final groove, while a wire spring moves it to the beginning, and the brass stripe switch starts the motor again. The needle is lead into the recording as the records also have a run-in groove.
The recordings are vertical, hill-and-dale system. The needlebar is in permanent contact with a plastic cone by its end, just at the upper side, opposite to the needle, just in top of its tail. They produce a bad quality sound, but a very high volume.
The records are a little marvel, in colour translucent plastic. They have a wide center hole, looking as a small 45rpm single. The speed is fast, some 90rpm or so, if I remember well. I tried to play them in my turntable, but the tiny size made it impossible to track with the tonearm. I had to disengage the cartridge and hold it in my hand to play the records!
One of the toys I have is a real reduced scale gramophone with diaphragm, tonearm and horn, which can play these records, as well as other shellac toy records. Mine was a dummy example, but constructed in a way that it was easy to modify it and convert it in an usable player. The real and only challenge was to use the dummy toy soundbox and convert it in a real thing, adding a diaphragm and a stylus bar, which I did. Still the sound didn't satisfy, and I'm in the semi-abandoned project of remaking it in a better way.
Another trouble point was the connection between the tonearm and horn, with an enormous gap which I'm trying to improve, adding a tiny flexible pipe forming an airtight conduit between the horn and the back end of tonearm, inside the connection. Very difficult!
The soundbox is prepared for lateral recordings, as a standard gramophone, and I'm also squeezing my brain to make an elbow connector allowing it to be installed in the perpendicular position to play these tiny vertical toy records.
If I finally succeed in making the tiny soundbox, I could either used the elbow to install it in another position, or make another soundbox for vertical records anew.
Later I will add some photos of these toy players and records for your entertainment and curiosity satisfaction! (I'm now out from home... :D )
Inigo

Schlick
Victor II

Post by Schlick »

My talking G.I. Joes of the late 60's - 70's, with the pull string dog tag, had similar tech; although the mechanical "record" was a plastic tape.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Schlick, thé device you're describing uses a plastic tape with grooves in it, like a Tefifon..? How interesting... It's it a German toy?
Inigo

Schlick
Victor II

Post by Schlick »

Hope I'm not hijacking:

Made by Hasbro. About as American as you can get!(?)

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Not really modern, but the Kenner Juke Box from 1971 was profiled here -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=16063

Video -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM9YSzs09JE

It actually sounded pretty good. I attribute the distortion to age and "child abuse" (abused by children) ;) .

...and of course, a few years ago you had the Gakken toy (build it yourself) gramophone -- https://www.amazon.com/Gakken-Windup-Pr ... B0013L5JPQ which was really no more than a toy and sounded like it. These still come up for sale on eBay.

OrthoFan