Show us your pedestals!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: Show us your pedestals!

Post by Viva-voce »

fran604g wrote:
Viva-voce wrote:Mine is actually a sheet music cabinet of a similar vintage as my 1908 Victor IV I got from Jerry B. two years ago--thanks again Jerry :)
I fell in love with it when I saw it in an antique store in the late 1980's.
That's a stunning combination! I can't help but think of the gorgeous cabinet Brandon (HisMastersVoice) still had listed in the Yankee Trader recently (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40265) - and how I can't believe it hasn't sold. If I actually owned a mahogany disc machine, I'd snatch it up in a New York Minute.

Best,
Fran
Thanks Fran! I wish I could have taken better photos though. The original ribbon mahogany finish and color look better and more vivid in person.

Steven

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

fran604g wrote:
Viva-voce wrote:Mine is actually a sheet music cabinet of a similar vintage as my 1908 Victor IV I got from Jerry B. two years ago--thanks again Jerry :)
I fell in love with it when I saw it in an antique store in the late 1980's.
That's a stunning combination! I can't help but think of the gorgeous cabinet Brandon (HisMastersVoice) still had listed in the Yankee Trader recently (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40265) - and how I can't believe it hasn't sold. If I actually owned a mahogany disc machine, I'd snatch it up in a New York Minute.

Best,
Fran

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Sorry about the duplicate posts. I kept getting server error messages then got knocked back to the sign in page not realizing they still went through LOL

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Sorry about the duplicate posts. I kept getting server error messages then got knocked back to the sign in page not realizing they still went through LOL

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

jamiegramo wrote: That's a great pedestal, I've not seen one quite like it. I agree the ability to hold only ten inch records suggests an early date and, if Columbia, maybe for the mahogany Columbia AR? I looked at V.K. Chews Talking Machines (Science Museum 1981) but could not see early Disc Graphophone cabinets. Perhaps you have a different book? I would like to find it.

Jamie
I must admit that it is a long time since I have set eyes on the Chew book, and I may have misremembered where I saw the page of line-drawings of Columbia Disc Graphophone cases which I have in mind. https://www.intertique.com/ColumbiaGrap ... ounts.html (a useful resource which I have not met with before) illustrates an AJ ('early style with vertical crank') which has the same moulding, albeit in oak rather than mahogany.

Oliver Mundy.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Here's another one. Columbia Q on wood base, on Sears base, on pedestal.
Attachments
ColQ.jpg
ColQ.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That's sharp!
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

fran604g wrote:That's sharp!
Made for it! The ornate metalwork sitting on ornate metalwork. The shape of the phonograph base even matches the shape of the top of the stand.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

While on a cabinet image search, I came across this decal that I thought would fit in this thread.
Cabinet That Matches logo.jpg
James.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Roaring20s wrote:While on a cabinet image search, I came across this decal that I thought would fit in this thread.
Cabinet That Matches logo.jpg
James.
Is it possible to see the entire cabinet?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.