How/Where to oil Grafanola Deluxe (Lions Head) star wheels

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Schlick
Victor II

How/Where to oil Grafanola Deluxe (Lions Head) star wheels

Post by Schlick »

OK, don't kick me off because I'm asking mainly about the 240 Reginaphone star wheels-they are after all in a Columbia with a working phonograph!

But I'm wondering where/how to oil (or *IF* to oil!) the star wheels of the 240 mechanism. I noticed that of the solid wheels (three yellow arrows), only the center one rolls freely. Can one apply a bit of sewing machine oil to the whole length of the star wheels?
Regina Grafanola Deluxe Comb assbl_4062.JPG
Also, although the gears look well and recently greased, it does clunk every now and then so maybe it's time to look at the main spring? Do I follow the general main spring cleaning/greasing topics I've read (but never done!) here, or does this spring barrel have special issues?

Cheers,

Michael

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: How/Where to oil Grafanola Deluxe (Lions Head) star whe

Post by estott »

A drop of oil between the star wheels is good, but use very little. It tends to attract dust and fluff which can clog the movement.

I would be very very careful with the spring barrel. I have not examined one of these - or any Regina machine - but from experience I can say that music boxes have stronger springs than phonographs- they have to provide a lot of power while running slowly.

Schlick
Victor II

Post by Schlick »

estott wrote:A drop of oil between the star wheels is good, but use very little. It tends to attract dust and fluff which can clog the movement.

I would be very very careful with the spring barrel. I have not examined one of these - or any Regina machine - but from experience I can say that music boxes have stronger springs than phonographs- they have to provide a lot of power while running slowly.
Thank you, escott!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Schlick wrote:
estott wrote:A drop of oil between the star wheels is good, but use very little. It tends to attract dust and fluff which can clog the movement.

Thank you, escott!
I use a very thin oil, somewhat sparingly, as suggested above.

Schlick
Victor II

Post by Schlick »

JerryVan wrote:I use a very thin oil, somewhat sparingly, as suggested above.
Thank you JerryVan!

Schlick
Victor II

Post by Schlick »

estott wrote:... they have to provide a lot of power while running slowly.
And speaking of running slowly:
Now I've noticed that even if I turn the speed control as far as it will go, it still will not play slowly enough for the discs.

Any advice on "calibrating" the speed control on a Columbia Grafanola? (Looks like 'typical' felt pad on governor brake disc---simply new a pad?)