First Machine! Monarch Jr: need info/help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
LtFrenchFries
Victor Jr

First Machine! Monarch Jr: need info/help

Post by LtFrenchFries »

I’ve been collecting old 78s for a long time, but just decided to get into phonograph collecting too. The other day, I bought (from what I can tell with my limited knowledge) a Victor Monarch Jr. It still spins but is a little shakey and I didn’t want to try to open it out the fear I might break something.

That being said, I’m very new to this and know very little information, as it’s hard to find online. I was able to find the sticker on the bottom that says it was made in 1902 but other than that I could use some help. Any general info (how many were made, value, etc) or information on how to restore it (unless it would be better off as is) would be greatly appreciated. I’m very new and know could use any info I can get!
Attachments
D74D4477-E112-4E33-BB7D-0D9F84052317.jpeg
B24E06C8-DD20-4B87-AB5B-6D34AB10723A.jpeg
EA58735D-C6C4-413D-A35C-FB7A15582BA0.jpeg
E3C24BA2-229F-4225-A028-CBAD1C3617F2.jpeg

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: First Machine! Monarch Jr: need info/help

Post by FellowCollector »

Congratulations! A Victor E with Gibson arm. You did well. Enjoy!

Doug

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum.

The Type E went through several variations over its production life. The best information available is in the book "Look for the Dog", by Robert Baumbach, and is readily available for purchase on the web.

Another great resource is Paul Edie's website found here: http://www.victor-victrola.com/Victor%20E.htm

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I'll start the ball rolling--congrats! That's a very nice way to start a phono collection. I have one very like it, but I had to wait years of craving a disk machine with a horn before one came to me.

According to the book Look for the Dog, the Monarch Jr. was made from 1902 to 1905; this site http://www.victor-victrola.com/Victor%20E.htm sets the start date a year earlier and the end date two or three later. Either way, the date on yours is the date the sticker text was written, not the date of manufacture. The book indicates holes for a rear mount horn were added in 1904, and since yours has them I'd think it comes from that year or later.

One word of caution: front mount horn machines like the Monarch Jr. tend to be hard on records because the entire weight of the reproducing mechanism comes to bear on the record. You might want to avoid playing really pristine copies or rarities on it.

[edit]By the way, you won't break anything just by opening the machine; the lid was hinged precisely to allow for opening so the owner could oil the motor. Just be sure to remove the crank and keep the horn/reproducer clear when you do.

[further edit] Your machine would have had a metal plate covering the extra holes for mounting a rear-mount horn bracket; the photo below shows the one on my machine, and I would expect yours would have been similar. If memory serves, the inside of the case should have a plain steel mounting plate corresponding to the holes; I can't check mine without dragging it down from a high, not terribly accessible shelf, so I'll leave it to others to correct me if I'm wrong.
Attachments
Monarch Jr blank plate.JPG
Last edited by drh on Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations on a very fine Victor E also know as a Monarch Junior. It should cleanup nicely without refinishing. Many of us use Kotton Klenser or non-pumice GoJo hand cleaner for cleaning cabinets. I've just come in from the garage after cleaning a Victor M with GoJo. There are many threads here on the Forum for cleaning cabinets. If you use the search feature they should be available to you. You'll also want to rebuild your Exhibition sound box also known as a reproducer. Everything you need is available from parts suppliers. They are listed in the Links section of our Forum. You'll also find threads about rebuilding the Exhibition. The one thing I'd look for is the plate which would cover the holes near your support arm. (The horn rests in the horn cradle which is attached to the traveling arm which connects to the support arm and the support arm attaches to the cabinet.). You'll notice next to the support arm are some additional holes. Those holes would have been used if the machine had a back bracket. The tag should read "Remove this tag to attach Rigid Arm" or "Remove this tag to attach Tapered Arm." The exact wording may be slightly different. More importantly, should the tag refer to a rigid or tapered arm with a Victor E with a serial number in the 49.xxx range?.

Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

An unsolicited suggestion... I would not replace the turntable felt. :)

Jerry B.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Jerry B. wrote:... More importantly, should the tag refer to a rigid or tapered arm with a Victor E with a serial number in the 49.xxx range?.

Jerry Blais
For what it's worth, mine is 45995 and has the style plate I pictured in an edit to my post above.
Attachments
Monarch Jr data plate.JPG

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

drh wrote: Your machine would have had a metal plate covering the extra holes for mounting a rear-mount horn bracket; the photo below shows the one on my machine, and I would expect yours would have been similar. If memory serves, the inside of the case should have a plain steel mounting plate corresponding to the holes; I can't check mine without dragging it down from a high, not terribly accessible shelf, so I'll leave it to others to correct me if I'm wrong.
Just checked my pre-dog E (#38021), and there is no plate inside. Presumably that was included with the back mount kit?

Bill

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

During the period when both front mount and rear mount set ups were offered, the cabinets were predrilled for both. If it came from the factory as a rear mount there was a plug over the front mount holes and there would have no "remove this" plate. The opposite was also true. For a front mount machines the holes were occupied with the support arm and the "remove this" tag covered the holes for a rear mount application.

Regarding the plug for the front mount holes... Does anyone know why it is so massive? Also, what's the reason for the vertical hole?

Thanks, Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:An unsolicited suggestion... I would not replace the turntable felt. :)

Jerry B.
I second that suggestion!

George P.