VICTROLA VV 2-55 help needed (I'm new to this)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
burke
Victor I

Re: VICTROLA VV 2-55 help needed (I'm new to this)

Post by burke »

MarkH wrote:Hi guys,

Is my VV 2-55 soundbox a No 5? And is a soundbox the same thing as a reproducer (that is, the round unit that holds the record needle that has a diaphragm)? Why are soundboxes named Number 1, Number 2,..., No 5? At first, I was thinking a "soundbox" was the area where the sound was pumped into...like a subwoofer box, but I think I'm wrong with that assumption.

I'm still struggling a bit with all the terms; and I'm sorry if this question is so basic to you all, but I really appreciate this forum in helping a new guy!

And thanks to Jeb98 for the links!

Mark
Soundbox/reproducer = same thing. Victor used one name other companies the other name ... can't remember which is which ... The main difference is othophonic vs the older style ... and the main difference was older types used a thin sheet of mica and othophonic used a thin sheet of aluminum [I am oversimplifying on purpose ... there is way more to it than that]. Orthophonics are WAY, WAY tougher to work on or rebuild than the mica type. And Victor orthophonics are the worst by far because they used a setup using tiny ball bearings around the needlebar.

I had rebuild a couple of motors and couple mica types before I tackled a Victor orthophonic.

It was ... hard ... very, very, very hard!

I did it, but it was hard ... did I mention it was hard?

I basically ended up trashing the original and using the parts to make one using a new case from Ron Sitko.

It sounds great, I was very pleased I'd done it and would very much hesitate to do it again.

The whole ordeal can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30036&start=0

But others have done work on your machine's reproducer which can be seen here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21206
and here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22081

Whether yours needs a full tear down is hard to say however. Maybe more pictures of it off the arm and close up would help [back and front].

Cheers
Last edited by burke on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Jeb98 wrote:https://web.archive.org/web/20180806174 ... honic.html

http://www.restore-a-gram.co.uk/hmv-no- ... 4589510400

There are a few descriptions of how to do it. Good luck. I would also check eBay for the parts. One seller hasn’t the flange, bearing balls, and gaskets.
Hi Jeb98

Wyatt's is the one for the his sound box [a victor - American].

The second is for an HMV [British]... different design ... no nasty little ball bearings to drive you mad :)

Also the knocking you mentioned in your previous post is most often due to hardened grease in the spring barrel.

Sounds like you've already been doing lots of googling but in case you haven't found it - this was the video series that taught me haw to rebuild motors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9i7zp-v9s

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

MarkH wrote:Hi guys,

Is my VV 2-55 soundbox a No 5? And is a soundbox the same thing as a reproducer (that is, the round unit that holds the record needle that has a diaphragm)? Why are soundboxes named Number 1, Number 2,..., No 5?
Mark
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:But I know the Orthophonic isn't a No. 5. It's very similar because the No. 5 is based on the Orthophonic.

Actually, internally, the Victor Talking Machine Co. DID officially refer to the Orthophonic sound box as the #5, as noted in the Victor Data Book, by Robert Baumbach, although the number did not appear on the sound box, itself. The sound box used on the Orthophonic VV-2-55 portable was identified as the "#5 Special Orthophonic".

In the UK, when the first Re-Entrant gramophones were introduced, they were fitted with a sound box that was identical to the Victor Orthophonic sound box. It was marked the "No. 5" on it's back--the word "Orthophonic" was not used. (I used to own one.) That was soon replaced by the 5a sound box, and later, the 5b, which used the same style needle-bar pivots as used on the #4 sound box, along with a similar style back plate.

Also See -- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8585

HTH,
OrthoFan

markbark
Victor Jr

Re: Victor IV How does an " Older" man write??????

Post by markbark »

Just wonderin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Victor IV How does an " Older" man write??????

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

markbark wrote:Just wonderin
Hi, welcome to the Forum. I saw in your subject line you are owning a Victor IV and curious about how to write for the Forum.

Pick a topic section (in your case "Machines" because you have an American-built phonograph,) and click on the "new topic" button above the list of topics, and start there.

The Forum is fairly simple to navigate and a little doodling round will show how it works. Good luck. You'll want to start a fresh topic on your Victor.

TonyJ
Victor I

Post by TonyJ »

You also may want to check the governor for the knocking. If any of the springs is broken or worn, the knock could be coming from the weight(s) hitting something as they are rotating.
Jeb98 wrote:I have the same exact machine. Mine makes a knocking noise when it gets to a certain speed. I want to do a complete tear down but I did hear that they often used rivets in certain places instead of screws.

I am most nervous about taking the spring apart and I've never done this before, but there are videos on youtube that show how it is done. Please keep us up to date on what you do with this.

I ordered the small bearings and gaskets for the Orthophonic reproducer from a seller on ebay and there are quite a few steps involved in refurbishing those, but it seems doable to me.

Best,

Jonas

MarkH
Victor Jr

Post by MarkH »

Hi everyone,

I sent off my motor and reproducer to Dave Dazer for a spring repair, cleaning, and reproducer rebuild. He's one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting.

I have two more questions though! (see my pictures)

First, what is the small rectangular box (with two clips) for?

Second, where can I find a cup for my reproducer? My player just has a cut-out of where the cup should be.

Thanks!
Mark
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.15 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
cradle.JPG
cradle.JPG (66.29 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
clips.JPG
clips.JPG (70.29 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

That box holds needles & the clips held a tin of Victrola Tungs-Tone Needles over the top of the used-needle dish.

MarkH
Victor Jr

Post by MarkH »

So the indented box held the used needles? Why would they want to save the used needles? Needles are supposed to only be used once. I can't imagine in 1928 that they'd care if the used needles were just thrown away or just chucked to the ground...like a cigarette butt.

I'd love to see a picture of the the box/clips in action...it's still a bit murky to me!

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

MarkH wrote:So the indented box held the used needles? Why would they want to save the used needles? Needles are supposed to only be used once. I can't imagine in 1928 that they'd care if the used needles were just thrown away or just chucked to the ground...like a cigarette butt.

I'd love to see a picture of the the box/clips in action...it's still a bit murky to me!
Many machines had cups or receptacles for used needles: you didn't want to just throw them around. When it got full, you would just empty it into a convenient wastebasket.

- Bill