Radiola portable : Information needed.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Radiola portable : Information needed.

Post by epigramophone »

I have just been given the wreck of a Radiola portable similar, but not identical, to the example pictured below. Apart from two or three images on line I have been unable to find any description of it, such as when where and by whom it was made.

Although very cheaply made, it has a couple of interesting features. The tonearm, which directs the sound into a distinctive plated reflector, adjusts to play lateral or vertical cut records. This leads me to suspect that it might be of American origin.

The machine appears to be complete and the motor runs, noisily, but it has been badly stored in a damp environment. Before I decide whether it is worth the effort of restoration, any information from our knowledgeable membership would be gratefully received.
Attachments
Radiola.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Radiola portable : Information needed.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

A very, very early portable phonograph, early 1920s.

I'm not sure who made it but vertical Pathé and 78 records disappeared around 1922 or 1923 in America. So it's from some time between then and 1925 when the wood-covered portable went out of style.

The slotted crank is more reminiscent of a much earlier Victor Talking Machine horn model. I'd restore it if it looks like that you have there. It's really unusual and cute...maybe someone else can chime in with who made it.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

The soundbox appears to be for electrical recordings, but whether yours is the same I don't know.
I think the one pictured above is more likely European from the mid to late 20's. Possibly offered for sale in connection with the Ericsson Radiola company?
They were making radiograms by the late 20's so I wonder if they also had a radiola record label somewhere?
Is your soundbox the same, and does it have a Thorens motor or something else?
Id be looking for Radiola radios and advertising to see if you can find the same transfer on other products or similar style text in advertising.
Personally, I think any original portable capable of playing both types of records is a pretty rare find and well worth restoring.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you gentlemen.

I will restore the machine and have now dismantled it. The pictures show the unusual tonearm and sound reflector, plus the poor state of the case.
The motor is indeed a Thorens, but it is not the original. At some time in antiquity the machine has been converted to front wind. You can see in the penultimate picture where the original side winding hole has been covered up. A crude repair, but part of it's history.
Attachments
IMG_2199.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Here's an advertising post card for Radiola from Paris, France. Note, reproducer is shown in the vertical-cut, playback position.

Bob
Attachments
Radiola Post Card (Front).JPG
Radiola Post Card (Reverse).JPG

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

OK, I was wrong. The post card is NOT a wood-covered machine but a machine done in heavy crocodile-grain leatherette.

Cool that it has the rotating reproducer.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Having had time to do some research, I am wondering whether the Radiola was a development of the Radior :
Attachments
Radior.jpg
Radior.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 764 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Thanks to Bob (Pathé Logical) I now know that the Radiola is French. Given it's ability to play both lateral and vertical cut records this makes perfect sense, as the vertical cut lasted longer in France than anywhere else in Europe.

After some sympathetic restoration involving rusted screws and damp delaminated plywood, the little beast lives again :
Attachments
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2205.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Your Radiola came out beautiful. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.