Edison Standard worth restoring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Standard worth restoring?

Post by phonogfp »

KCW wrote:Would this machine originally had a shaver attached? I was thinking of adding one for completeness, but would not likely use it. Also - the restorer fashioned a brass piece (see the pictures) to hold the reproducer in the carriage with the two screws. What originally would have been used? Are there any photos as a reference? Looks like the later models would have had four screws and he arrangement looks a little different. Thanks everyone! Learning so much!
You will find a number of good closeup images of early Standards (including the shaver) in Martin Kauper's excellent article posted on the Antique Phonograph Society's website:

https://www.antiquephono.org/spotters-g ... honograph/

Although no single-screw reproducer clips are shown in Martin's article, these clips can be seen in the image showing the Edison Automatic reproducer mounted on a February 1898 Home, found in this article:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

George P.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I found a couple of closeups of my standard. It is s/n 20xx. I forgot the exact number. I showed some of my standards in a topic in 2018. Tom
Attachments
IMG_0483.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Here it is playing - I had to shorten the link in the automatic reproducer a little and then oil a few places. It’s working great now! I bought some reproducer clips, but settled on a set with two screw holes even though I need those with one (more affordable). I was thinking of stripping the black paint off the section with the serial number. What do you all think?
Attachments
trim.7458256C-4C9F-43B0-A9FA-A20E9CBA5120.MOV
(13.31 MiB) Downloaded 170 times

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Does not sound too bad. A bigger horn will improve it when you can get around to it. I was looking at the original plate pictures and it almost looks like there was paint on the serial number but it could have been rust. . You may want to touch it up or even it out. I am not sure that yours had or did not have paint on it. It seems like there would not be a lot when they hand stamp the serial number into the raised boss. Martin might know as he is an expert in the standard phonograph characteristics. He has logged them for years. If you are happy with it leave it alone. It looks fine. That is too small of a detail to worry about. Tom

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

duplicate post.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

KCW wrote:Here it is playing - I had to shorten the link in the automatic reproducer a little and then oil a few places. It’s working great now! I bought some reproducer clips, but settled on a set with two screw holes even though I need those with one (more affordable). I was thinking of stripping the black paint off the section with the serial number. What do you all think?
KCW you did really well. I hope in 2021, I myself will find anything phono related from the 1890s. But it will probably something like a Columbia Eagle.