Edison Standard worth restoring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Edison Standard worth restoring?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

KCW wrote:It’s a tough call for me. I don’t want to pay full price and offered 300$. I don’t mind spending a chunk in restoration, particularly because I love the idea of bringing something interesting back to life. However, he won’t budge on price. If it was not missing so many parts I’d be in. Probably will find a complete functioning one instead.
Yeah I think the price is that high because of the low serial number. Have you ever worked on restoring one of these before? It’s really not that hard once you watch some tutorials on YouTube, and many of us would gladly help you through the process. Heck, there’s still many things I need to learn! Lots of us have bought stuff in that condition or worse back from the dead. At least there’s no capacitors to replace! :lol: And the only real dangerous thing is getting the spring out of the can for cleaning and greasing. But I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I was able to resurrect my Edison Standard E last year after decades being non functional.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The seller croakinfrog is Mr. Mark Gaisser, member of this forum and contributor to the antique phonograph community. He has drawn controversy over dismantling restorable machines for spare parts, but has helped a lot of people save more machines, and (thankfully) is a decent chap and will not rip you off. What you buy will be shipped safely and well.

He sold me a new old stock oiler port to go on a 1911 Edison Standard E (Same kind as yours, Andy) that now belongs to another member of the TMF, as unfortunately I decided to sell it to move somewhere and that didn't work out leaving me short of a very rare talking-machine. Thankfully the new owner is a very good restorer and is conserving it--and listening to lots of cylinders on it! So that's all good.

But all that aside, I don't think you will regret the purchase if you truly want an example of an early Edison wax-cylinder phonograph. Shawn Borri (edisonphonoworks here on the board) makes the brown wax cylinders it would have used in the period. It should be a fun machine to fix up and display. Maybe even listen to it if that's the vintage of music you're into. I probably would! Get a set of ear tubes, some classic wax records, and go for it.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Thinking more about your situation, I would recommend looking for less of a project. Since you're a beginner at this, my advice is to look for something that you can begin to enjoy without the delay of a time consuming, possibly challenging, restoration. Yes, this is an early, "rare", example, but that's really secondary to its primary function of satisfying and entertaining. Lots of other nice Edison Standards can do that without the higher initial cost, long restoration time, parts cost, restoration cost, etc. In other words, you'll have all that investment of time and money, only to get the same end result: a nice playing cylinder phonograph. If the ability to call it "early" or "rare" is worth the extra effort, then maybe this is for you. Consider too, that when it's done, it will have a refinished cabinet and repainted top works. For the same, or less, money than you'll have in this, you can have a phonograph with original finish & paint.

In the Model T Ford hobby, I dissuade newcomers from getting into a big project as well. For months or years they will see only the downside of the hobby. The search for parts, the cost, the missteps of a novice in the hobby, etc. If they buy a driveable car, they get to enjoy the positive side of the hobby. Then they know to what purpose and to what benefits they're striving when they eventually begin a long term project.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

The crank has a smaller hole in the center that goes on the shaft making them more expensive and rarer . They probably run $ 125-150. Top lid might be a little larger than a standard 2 clip. I would roughly estimate that it will cost aprox $ 400 to $ 500 in parts to fix this one up complete but I did mine over time. I would say that it may be worth $ 1500 to $ 2000 if done correctly. I believe this is one that was produced in the first year of production and there is not too many around. If I did not have one produced in the first year I would have snapped it up. I figure there is less than 50 earlier than this one left in exitance.
You are right that you could possibly buy a complete one ( later model) for under $ 500. Since you seem to be new to this hobby it will be a big job for you but the people on the forum will give you a lot of help. There are also several good restoration books in print. Think about it as you do not want to spend a lot of money and get into a project that will frustrate you. You will need to be a little handy at woodwork refinishing, mechanical repairs, and some paint and surface refinishing. Tom

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Definitely interested in the early serial number. Thinking of going for it and will let the forum know. I wouldn’t restore it myself. I would get someone to do it for me and I have someone in mind. He re-did a GEM for me and it was amazing. I like the idea of resurrecting the old machine and honestly to have an Edison from the 1890s would be incredible. Will keep you informed! I’m guessing this will take a pretty long time but the thought is an exciting investment!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

KCW wrote:Definitely interested in the early serial number. Thinking of going for it and will let the forum know. I wouldn’t restore it myself. I would get someone to do it for me and I have someone in mind. He re-did a GEM for me and it was amazing. I like the idea of resurrecting the old machine and honestly to have an Edison from the 1890s would be incredible. Will keep you informed! I’m guessing this will take a pretty long time but the thought is an exciting investment!

Then you're the right guy for the job!

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Bought it and imagine it will be off for a professional restoration in a short bit. When it’s all done I’ll revisit this thread and post pictures. Can’t wait to see it up and running again! Thanks everyone for the great advice!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

KCW wrote:Bought it and imagine it will be off for a professional restoration in a short bit. When it’s all done I’ll revisit this thread and post pictures. Can’t wait to see it up and running again! Thanks everyone for the great advice!
Congratulations! I can’t wait to see it! Will your repairman have the mandrel, crank, and automatic reproducer? I still need to add a suitcase model Standard to my collection (heck I STILL don’t have any brown wax records in my collection). Along with the model C and F, but that will wait until I get a reliable Reel-to-Reel tape deck.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Great.... nice to see someone in the forum got it.. If you want to take the trouble maybe you could pop in and take some pictures during the restoration The people here are all interested. Tom

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Acquired all the missing parts and sent everything to the restorer! Excited to have an 1890s player when it’s done. Will certainly post pictures. By the way, same seller on eBay has a complete and nearly working Edison standard two clip with an even earlier serial number -S400s. Just wanted to let everyone know. I would have bought it had I not started this project, but very happy to help bring this one back to life!