Edison Standard worth restoring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Edison Standard worth restoring?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

KCW wrote:Acquired all the missing parts and sent everything to the restorer! Excited to have an 1890s player when it’s done. Will certainly post pictures. By the way, same seller on eBay has a complete and nearly working Edison standard two clip with an even earlier serial number -S400s. Just wanted to let everyone know. I would have bought it had I not started this project, but very happy to help bring this one back to life!
I’m going to watch this thread and restoration very closely. I am really happy and excited for you! And I hope a member of this forum buys the other one. But it won’t be me though because I don’t have $1200+ on me.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I won't be buying the other one either--that's quite a bit of money for a rare phonograph.

But that restoration of OP's new Edison has got me curious.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

I’ll definitely post restoration pictures. It’s great that the original pictures are in the thread for comparison. I imagine this will take some time. I’m not doing the restoration, but having a pro handle it, can’t wait to see it!

andriesjackson
Victor Jr
Personal Text: South African

Post by andriesjackson »

I own the lowest serial number Edison Standard phonograph that I have seen on the net. S45.

I do not have the funnel/horn and crank handle.

It is in good condition.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

andriesjackson wrote:I own the lowest serial number Edison Standard phonograph that I have seen on the net. S45.

It is in good condition.
I don't want to hijack the OP too much, but I for one would love to see some photos of your incredibly early Standard. Would you be so kind as to start a post showing it to us? I'm sure many would be grateful for your contribution. It would be a great candidate for a "Featured Phonographs" in this subforum: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=444

Many thanks,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

andriesjackson wrote:I own the lowest serial number Edison Standard phonograph that I have seen on the net. S45.

It is in good condition.
Congratulations on owning one of the earliest Edison Standards. As I advised you earlier on the Antique Phonograph Society web site, Edison Standard #3 exists. Although not everything can be found on the Internet, Martin Kauper's data on Edison Standards can be found there - - on the APS web site, immediately following his outstanding Spotter's Guide to the Edison Standard Phonograph:

https://www.antiquephono.org/spotters-g ... honograph/

As shown there, Edison Standards #3, #4, and #43 are noted, along with hundreds of others.

George P.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

I took would love to see that early standard! How did you come across it? Does it have an interesting origin story?

andriesjackson
Victor Jr

Post by andriesjackson »

fran604g wrote:

It is in good condition.
I don't want to hijack the OP too much, but I for one would love to see some photos of your incredibly early Standard. Would you be so kind as to start a post showing it to us? I'm sure many would be grateful for your contribution. It would be a great candidate for a "Featured Phonographs" in this subforum: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=444

Many thanks,
Fran
Hi Fran I will plsce some pictures soon.

andriesjackson
Victor Jr

Post by andriesjackson »

KCW wrote:I took would love to see that early standard! How did you come across it? Does it have an interesting origin story?
Hi

My father kept in in good condition his whole life. - He passed away 4 years ago. He got it from his dad - my grandfather that died when my dad was 18.

I will post some pictures soon
Thanks

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Well after a long wait the restoration is finished - done by Shenandoah Restorations, a completer overhaul. Will post picture for comparison soon. Foolish question, but will this machine play any two minute cylinder, such as gold molded? Thank you!