Found an original family Victrola VV-XVIII in the wild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: Found an original family Victrola VV-XVIII in the wild

Post by Django »

travisgreyfox wrote:Such a neat piece of history and great story to go with it! Please share some more pics, as this is my absolute favorite model Victrola.

How far did you have to drive to get it? How do the record books look? Any other accessories come in it?

Oh, and congratulations!
Thank you all for the kind words.

Travis, 2 ½ hours each way, so fairly local. A few of the pulls on the albums are off, but they were still with the machine. They are in nice shape, but I will keep them empty. The only accessory was a Victor reproduced case and lots of records. The VV-XVIII is one of my favorites too.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Django wrote:A few of the pulls on the albums are off, but they were still with the machine. They are in nice shape, but I will keep them empty. The only accessory was a Victor reproduced case and lots of records.
The albums are of course a great extra, it took me some digging around, but I was able to assemble a set for mine. Awesome that you also got the record collection, that to me is like the icing on the cake and so often a neat window into the taste they had in music. I always make sure records that came with a machine stay with it as I'm sure you will :)

Sean

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Here are some updated pictures from after the machine had it’s first cleaning and been moved into the music room. The motor is strong, but will need to be cleaned, adjusted and lubed. The reproducer needs service as well. The original finish has some crazing, as it should. She is in beautiful condition at 104 years old. I will submit this machine as a featured phonograph after I have finished tinkering.
Attachments
D303507B-BF65-4663-AC69-27CF492113F2.jpeg
3F479FF9-5CD9-46C8-A1C2-CE859D4CD94A.jpeg

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

emerson wrote:The machine is nice but it doesn't compare to the person you are for your honesty with the monetary advance ----the new owner makes the machine shine.----just my opinion
Actually, I think most of us here know that that machine in that condition is easily worth $2,000+. Congrats to Django for getting such a nice machine, but let's not go overboard with the praise -- he still got a steal. Offering $1,000 for that machine wasn't exactly charitable.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Some or many collectors can't resist the urge to offer less than the asking price regardless of the price. A good number of collectors would pay the asking price and suppress the urge to dance back to their truck. Yes, paying twice the asking price was a good value but it was honorable and I'd leave it at that. Both the seller and buyer were happy with the transaction.

Jerry Blais

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I removed my defense because it really doesn't matter. It is a beautiful machine and I got a great deal, so I hope that people enjoy the pictures and I know that I will treasure the machine. Victor really knew what they were doing when it came to designing an object of lasting beauty. Every detail seems to flow into the next and nothing looks out of place.
Last edited by Django on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

That's about the right way to do it. Most people would not pay $2000 for an obsolete record player that takes up about as much room as an outdoor gas pump. But collectors would.

Your seller knew it was a valuable heirloom piece--so they put it up for $500. You (Django) as a collector know that in certain circles it's worth quite a bit of money indeed...so you gave him $1000 which is no insignificant sum.

Seller is happy--their Victrola went to a good home and they doubled their asking price. You're happy--you got a rare piece in exceptional condition. We're happy--you put pictures of it on the Forum and we're all staring!

Sounds like a good day shopping for phonographs!