Cecilian Melophonic, a Montgomery Ward's Credenza Clone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Cecilian Melophonic, a Montgomery Ward's Credenza Clone

Post by epigramophone »

Although not such a complex shape as the Orthophonic, the Cecilian horn appears to be well designed and constructed. To my British eyes it has something of the EMG Mk.VII about it.

This machine is more than just another Victrola lookalike. I would love to hear it once it is back in working order.

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

Here's the link to a picture of another motor by United Motor with its gearbox cover open: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40475

Also, here's a link to a picture of what I imagined my horn was going to look like: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8079&hilit=melophonic&start=10 (and it looks like the same 3 spring motor I have)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's your Melophonic "Concert Grand" ("The Model That Won the Double Test") as shown in Montgomery-Ward catalog #112, 1930. Note that the description describes the horn as "...ideal as a radio speaker." These were dark days for phonographs and records. (Click on image to slightly enlarge and sharpen.)

George P.
Melophonic001.jpg

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

Oh my gosh phonogfp, you found it, and quickly! Thank you! Do you know the approximate date of the catalog?

I wonder which former catalog it was in, that it was $132. Nice to see the small inset showing that the grille matches mine. "Chromatone Reproduction" is a new one on me, time for more research here.

Thanks again, George!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You're very welcome. As noted in my previous post, catalog #112 is from 1930.

There might be a web site with all/most of the Montgomery-Ward catalogs available for viewing. You might find additional information by going that route. Good luck!

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Detrbear,

PM Sent.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Very interesting to see that they were still selling full-size hand crank phonographs in 1930 after Victor had abandoned them! No wonder this machine is rare when for just $9 more, you could buy a radio/phono that was all electric including tubes. At $89 new, that has to be less than Victor wanted for their Credenza. After looking it up, I saw that the Credenza was sold for $300, but the $89 price is for a Credenza clone being offered in the Depression. I imagine most people could not even afford the Melophonic at that price in 1930. I'm always interested in Credenza clones because of their rarity. I once saw an ad for a rare Pathephonic, which also had a Credenza like cabinet. I've also seen a Cheney clone called a Symphonic, but I'm not sure on that name. It had two horns I think. Maybe someone here can correct me. anyway, great to see this late Credenza clone, since I've never seen one, or even heard of one of this Melophonic brand. Thanks for posting! Marc.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

Another Illinois connection as I didn’t know the Harley company was located in St. Charles Illinois.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawley_Products_Company

To think this still happening in 1930. It would be interesting to find out who was responsible for this last hurrah of pure acoustic sound reproduction in the USA. Especially a large cabinet machine like this. By this time the acoustic player was banished for picnics and vacuum tubes took over the parlor/living room.

Glenn

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

Is it possible that in 1930 they were closing them out, hence the low price?

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

What everyone is forgetting is the fact that the great majority of Rural America wasn't electrified until FDR's TVA program. Into the 1940s it wasn't uncommon to find homes still without electricity in rural towns across the USA.

If you browse the old pics on Shorpy you'll see plenty of evidence of this. You'll also see that lots of wind up machines were still in use.

Our modern power grid was decades in the making and interrupted by WW2. Those who collect oil lamps know that the 1940s was about the pinnacle of lamp development.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek