Help! my edison standard is spinning way to fast

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Help! my edison standard is spinning way to fast

Post by dzavracky »

Hey guys,

I am getting really frustrated trying to get my edison standard to spin at the right speed. It was almost spinning double before i started. Its closer now but I dont know what to do anymore. I have the speed adjustment set so it slows the speed as much as possible. I dont know what to do? Can i move the govenor over so it can't open up as much?

david

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Help! my edison standard is spinning way to fast

Post by Curt A »

Your governor has "brake pads" mounted on a lever that is meant to slow down the speed that it spins at... It works similar to disc brakes on a car... the more pressure the pads exert on the governor disc, the slower it runs. Without actually seeing a picture of your motor or the governor, it is hard to tell what exactly needs adjusting... Sometimes the pads have worn out and don't touch the governor disc to slow it or the linkage from the speed control to the governor is bent or out of adjustment... It sounds like your problem lies in this area, but like I said without a picture, it is hard to guess...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Make sure that the governor is adjusted correctly as seen in the following two pictures. Also, the brake pad should be intact and able to touch the governor disc. Make sure that the brake lever linkage is not bent - it should look like the small picture... Hope this helps.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 8.40.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 8.36.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 8.36.08 PM.png (433.94 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

OKAY great! this should fix the issue!

SO i should adjust the govenor so it touches the brake pad in the stop position?

(Edit) I tried moving the pin on the right and it didn’t work. What do I move to get the governor closer to the brake wheels?
Attachments
7589B4EB-AFBA-45BD-99FE-34EEC943F0A2.jpeg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

The governor looks to be in the correct position...
Last edited by Curt A on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Wife

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

Curt A wrote:The governor looks to be in the correct position... It appears that the "brake lever" (speed control lever) may be moving too freely, since it appears to be centered in the slot in the bedplate. If it was holding, it should stay in a position closer to one end of the slot or the other... in other words, when you move the speed control lever it should stay in the position that you set it in, if this makes sense.
The brake lever is not the speed control lever. The brake lever swings fully out of the way when the phonograph is switched on.

The governor brass stirrup has two pads and it's position hence speed is controlled by a screw. If the machine runs too fast with the screw adjustment of the stirrup at its extreme minimum speed position, this suggests the disc and flyballs have been located incorrectly. Look and you will find the governor disc may be relocated by means of a set screw at hub holding the flyball spring straps at the other end of the rotating governor assembly. It should be positioned so that when the correct speed is attained, the speed adjustment screw will be roughly mid range.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

What he said... I stand corrected...

My Wife

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

And don't forget, NEVER make adjustments to the governor without first letting the motor/main spring run completely down.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Alrighty! I’ll have to give it a shot this weekend after my classes are over. And yes! I have been very careful to let it unwind all the way

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

I'm guessing that oil on the brake pads would not be desirable, but I'm no expert.

Jim Nichol