Meisselbach Motor - Help Needed

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Meisselbach Motor - Help Needed

Post by Curt A »

After three years, I'm finally getting around to putting my Lauzon phonograph back in working order. I got the machine with the motor disassembled, so I'm not exactly sure if I have all the parts and not positive how the spring barrels go back together... Anyone familiar with these? Photos of a completely assembled one would be helpful...
Attachments
Lauzon%20MB-5.jpg
Lauzon%20MB-4.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Re: Meisselbach Motor - Help Needed

Post by phonolamplighter »

Here is an ad for Meisselbach motors. The one you have looks similar to the No.19.

We can check and try to get you pictures as we have several machines with a Meisselbach motor.

Hope this helps.
meisselbach motor,4 and 19.png
Ed and Nancy

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Thanks, actually it's a #18 motor... Any help or pics would be very much appreciated...

Curt

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

Not sure if you seen the picture of this one from worth point, Curt.(https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1803152502)

I disassembled a larger Saal motor awhile back from one of the higher end Silvertone models. (Saal, Meisselbach, Krasco all have a very similar motor design with only a few differences.) I remember there was a spring separator with a hook on it for connecting the drive springs with the winding ones.

Not sure if it'll help but here's a picture of it.
Attachments
(One that was shown on worthpoint.)
(One that was shown on worthpoint.)
(Spring divider with hook from saal motor.)
(Spring divider with hook from saal motor.)
(Backside.)
(Backside.)

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

Had any luck, Curt?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Benjamin_L wrote:Had any luck, Curt?
Yes, thanks to Ken Brekke on the Forum, who sent me a Meisselbach #17 motor for the cost of shipping. I have been cleaning it up to install in my Lauzon phonograph and fortunately the mounting holes are exactly the same on the #17 and #18.

The only difference that I have found is the #18 has two huge 2 ¼" springs, where the #17 only has one, plus a 1" spring. I guess the huge springs are to extend the playing times between windings. The motor that Ken sent worked perfectly until I cleaned the spring barrels and apparently unhooked the main one. It's going to be a challenge to separate the two halves of the spring barrel, although they appear to twist apart. Everything is always more difficult than it seems... the spring barrels are nickel plated and very slippery and the halves fit extremely tightly together. I'm going to have to figure some way to hold one half and try to twist the other to separate it. I have thought of using two oil filter wrenches, but want to make sure they don't damage the case... Oh well, another challenge...

My Wife