Dumb girl fibre needle question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tinkerbell
Victor III

Dumb girl fibre needle question

Post by Tinkerbell »

When I bought my IX, it had several fibre needles with it. While I don't have a fibre needle cutter, I did look at them under a magnifying glass, and it doesn't appear they were ever used (sharp angle cuts, no indentations in the sides, and they're all the same length).

So here's my dumb question... in which orientation should the needle be pointed? (Unlike a steel needle which is identical all the way around -- and cheap -- I don't want to "waste" the point by having it mounted the incorrect way.)

Thank you for tolerating my, um, ignorance in this matter. :roll: And yes, you can go ahead and call this a dumb blonde question.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Dumb girl fibre needle question

Post by OrthoSean »

You want the longest part of the needle (the point) to be facing the back of the machine with the reproducer in the rest position (assuming you're using your VV-IX). When it's down on the record, the smooth angled part of the needle will be facing you. This isn't that easy to describe, I'm finding, but I hope you can figure out what I mean!

Sean

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

OrthoSean wrote:You want the longest part of the needle (the point) to be facing the back of the machine with the reproducer in the rest position (assuming you're using your VV-IX). When it's down on the record, the smooth angled part of the needle will be facing you. This isn't that easy to describe, I'm finding, but I hope you can figure out what I mean!

Sean
So the point facing forward while it's playing then?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Tinkerbell wrote:So the point facing forward while it's playing then?
Like this:
Needle Point.JPG
Needle Point.JPG (10.28 KiB) Viewed 3207 times

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Here's the instruction sheet from a package of early fibres. Victor bought this company around 1910 or so, which means that this package was early. I like the concept of training your records to play with fibres. You get the impression that you should just sit the package in the machine for a week before they meet like introducing a kitten to the dog. :D

Jim
Attachments
BHFibres.jpg

Couch Potato
Victor I

Post by Couch Potato »

Great package and instructions from original fiber needles. Are they significantly less harsh on the records? Perhaps all we collectors should only use such needles? Perhaps they don't work that well? Occasionally when I buy an old machine I find many of these down inside the cabinet soaking up old grease so have never ventured to try them firsthand.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Fibre needles work fine, their only problem is a tendency to break down more quickly on some records than others- some records you can't get all the way through. Does absolutely no harm to use them.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:I like the concept of training your records to play with fibres. You get the impression that you should just sit the package in the machine for a week before they meet like introducing a kitten to the dog. :D

Jim
Oh now that is hilarious!! Thank you for the mind picture. :)

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Ortho_Fan wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:So the point facing forward while it's playing then?
Like this:
Needle Point.JPG
Thank you, that is what I was attempting to convey but you know being blonde and all...

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Tinkerbell wrote:Thank you, that is what I was attempting to convey but you know being blonde and all...
One blond to another. (Okay, one gray to a blonde, but I used to be blond. Well, at least it's still there--most of it, anyway....)

BTW, if you're ever in a "baking" mood, here's a recipe for making your own fiber (bamboo) needles:

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/talkingmac ... eedle.html