Early Wrecked suitcase home S/N 1789 found at UK auction

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: Early Wrecked suitcase home S/N 1789 found at UK auction

Post by edisonphonoworks »

that mandrel looks good and functions now! I don't believe I have seen a mandrel like that on a Home, so it is really special to that machine. Mine is brass but does not have a nice class M style, it is similar to a regular Home A mandrel minus the plating, and has some of the machining lines still on it. The mandrel certainly makes your machine pretty special.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Thanks all

Yes it's a very interesting machine, I like the early style lipped mandrel, it will be special when it's playing.

I've done a bit of 'wear appropriate' striping with a coat of shellac, not sure yet if I want to strip it all back and repaint it or if I want to leave it worn, but I've made the striping blend in with the current look, I can always take it all back and repaint it later, I managed to follow the faint ghosting of the original striping in parts.
DSC03770.JPG

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

It looks like you've done a superlative job of giving it just a hint of its original allure while respecting the history of the machine. The honest wear is refreshing and your restoration is sympathetic to that. Great work!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations on a great start on a worthwhile project. I look forward to the next episode!
How long did it take for you to take it apart, get the mandrel unstuck, and put it back together??
There's a big difference between a stuck mandrel on any machine with an endgate because mandrel shaft is supported at each end. The mandrel shaft on the D series and later have the pot metal bushing near the middle of the mandrel shaft and it swells and puts a death grip on the mandrel shaft.

Jerry B.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

edisonphonoworks wrote: I don't believe I have seen a mandrel like that on a Home, so it is really special to that machine.
kirtley2012 wrote:
Yes it's a very interesting machine, I like the early style lipped mandrel, it will be special when it's playing.
Alex nailed it when referring to the lipped (recessed end) mandrel as "early style." But casual readers and/or newcomers should not interpret this to mean that the earliest Homes all had them. The differences in early Home mandrels is explained in the article posted on the previous page of this thread:
homeart006.jpg
homeart006.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
George P.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi Alex,

I am in the UK as well and have Home 2089 - exactly 300 after yours ! My number on the Edisonia label is 10184 - it looks as though yours is 10118 ? so only 66 machines apart !! What a coincidence for two machines so close together to have survived in the UK !

Andrew

cmshapiro
Victor I

Post by cmshapiro »

George, just curious, does No55 still have its front drawer and side hasp lid case, or did they change the case when they updated the motor?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

cmshapiro wrote:George, just curious, does No55 still have its front drawer and side hasp lid case, or did they change the case when they updated the motor?
Home No.55 retains the earliest cabinet with drawer and side hasps. :)

George P.

studebakerphonos
Victor II
Personal Text: Skilled Craftsman produce radio cabinets at RCA Victor in Camden, N.J.

Post by studebakerphonos »

Thought these may be of interest.

Here are pictures of my and my son's SCH.

Mine is H2003 His is H2910.

Mine has cupped style mandrel his is smooth. Both are brass.

Also note carriage differences.

H2003 came form original owner family in Germantown, Philadelphia, PA. Even had original reproducer (not the one in the photo.)

The H2003 on off switch also follows a detent in the bedplate. The H2910 does not, it is a straight slot.

Sorry for the dirt. Have not had time to clean either.

Kind Regards, Bob
Attachments
IMG_9413.JPG
IMG_9415.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks for posting photos of those two Homes, Bob.

The carriages look the same to me, but No.2003 has been fitted with an Emerson clamp. This was not an Edison factory device, but sold through the United States Phonograph Company as an improvement over the Edison clips. Here's a scan from a poor photocopy of a USPCo. catalog from 1896-98.

George P.
Emerson2.jpg
Emerson2.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 1376 times