Peerless radio/phonograph circa 1929

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Hyperion
Victor O

Peerless radio/phonograph circa 1929

Post by Hyperion »

Greetings. I have the opportunity to acquire a beautiful Peerless radio/phonograph from around 1929, but I'm not sure what model it is, and what, besides the speaker, might be missing. Can anyone tell me what exactly this is, what the tube lineup would be, and if this set would have had a separate amp and/or power supply that is no longer present? I love these early radio/phono combos, and if a Peerless speaker is all that's missing, those are easy enough to find; but if it's also missing an amp and/or power supply, those might be unobtanium. Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I apologize for the sideways pictures -- please feel free to rotate them if you can figure out how. Heaven knows I can't.
Attachments
20180115_164614_Film1_resized(1).jpg
20180115_164644_Film1_resized(1).jpg
20180110_154345_Film1_resized(1).jpg
20180110_154354_Film1_resized(1).jpg
20180111_185148_Film1_resized.jpg
20180206_110401_Film1_resized.jpg
20180206_110340_Film1_resized.jpg

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: Peerless radio/phonograph circa 1929

Post by dzavracky »

That thing is sexy :o Very nice find!

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

It looks similar to this Radio Only Peerless. It does not have a separate amplifier chassis.
I thought that one large tube on the radio odd and looked big. In your pictures it looks like a ballast tube. I would think that yours did not have a separate amplifier chassis.
Attachments
Peerless Radio Chassis.jpg
Peerless Radio Speaker.jpg

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

It looks like this model originally had an electrostatic speaker. That may be what is in the pictures.

This is according to radio museum dot org.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/united10_25.html

I think the one in my pictures is another from the model 20 series.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/united10_20.html

Hyperion
Victor O

Post by Hyperion »

I picked this set up and have been inspecting it. It does, indeed, have an electrostatic speaker (they called it "Kylectron") -- restoring that will take some doing, though an article in a 1993 issue of Antique Radio Classified very helpfully leads the way on that. The phonograph, though, is a mystery to me, and has some issues. It has an RCA pickup, but was apparently made by Allen-Hough. It's not a changer (as discussed in some other threads here), but it is acting quite odd. When engaged, it will not start spinning unless you give it a push. Once you do, it spins fine, but if you slow it down with a finger, it will stop again. Also, the tone arm is pot metal and has swelled; I can deal with that, but it is pretty heavy, yet swivels on a lone ⅛" post, rather than ball bearings. And as of yet I can't seem to get the spindle cap off. Note the picture of the motor -- it's surprisingly small. It's a beautiful machine and I intend to restore it completely, but I could use some guidance on the phonograph. If anyone has any experience with these, or information about them, please let me know. And if you happen to have the Rider's phonograph volume, I'd love to hear from you!

(I will post this as a new thread, too.)
Attachments
IMG_2548001.jpg
IMG_2543.jpg
IMG_2538.JPG