Is anyone making original type long steel needles?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Is anyone making original type long steel needles?

Post by marcapra »

I had used several packages of original type needles from the Brunswick and Victor companies. They were longer than today's steel needles. Does anyone make the steel needles that are as long as the original needles of the 20s?

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Is anyone making original type long steel needles?

Post by larryh »

The soft tone needles I get from Wyatts Musical Americana are long. Not sure about the others. You can usually pull a needle out some in the stylus bar to achive a bit less distortion and volume. I do that when trying to make videos of a record that is too harsh sounding with a standard steel loud or medium needle.

Larry

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Is anyone making original type long steel needles?

Post by marcapra »

yes, I just bought a Cheney machine and Cheney knew all about this. They have a stepped tonearm holder that allows you to load your needle from the breech and it falls through to a step that is short, medium, or long to give you a range of sound. Trouble is with today's short needles, the needles just fall through the needle holder unless you put the tonearm on the shortest step.