Who know's Decca's?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
stetam
Victor II

Who know's Decca's?

Post by stetam »

Got this for free today and cannot find info anywhere on model, year made. Anyone familiar with Decca's?

Steve

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Who know's Decca's?

Post by gramophoneshane »

In case the picture at an outside host ever disappears
Attachments
IMG-0491.jpg

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

It looks like one made in the late 20s or early 30s when they were converting over to electric motors. I seems to have the old style tone arm and record holder on it. I have only one portable Decca and I never documented any research on it. I have an RCA victor similar to it. Try googling Decca crank phonographs and see what you come up with. What I recall is that Decca was mainly in making records. They seem to be nice phonographs and worth restoring. There is probably someone else here that is more of a Decca expert . This link on the bottom shows a Decca phonograph and may help. They must be British. https://www.thegramophonecollector.com/collection Tom

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The machine cannot be earlier than 1934, when Decca launched their American branch by acquiring the former Brunswick record pressing plant from Warner Brothers. Decca sold their American interests in 1939, just before the outbreak of WW2, but retained ownership of British Brunswick .

The machines on the link above are indeed British. The American and British machine ranges were entirely different.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I'd say it's from the late-1930s/early 1940s. A similar style acoustic portable (Victrola O-3) equipped with an electric motor, was sold under the RCA Victor brand name in 1941 -- http://www.mulhollandpress.com/styled-2 ... index.html

OrthoFan

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks Ortho. I forgot what year mine was..I forgot to take my Geratol yesterday. I checked and they finally posted the next RCA portable on the Mulholland press. I will have to look up the model number for it. The RCA portable with the square wire record holder was manufactured in 1948 and had the designation QH-1 So they made crank phonographs almost to the fifties. You are probably right about it being a 1940s Decca phonograph. I do not know of anyone who has information on the Decca line. There must be some book published on them. Tom