The Last Union Show! Oh No!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: The Last Union Show! Oh No!

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I like Jerry's suggestions and hope a show in Kansas City, St. Louis, or perhaps a Texas site can be organized. When we lived in Indiana, the HAPS group had a mini-show in Indiana which is also an idea to consider expanding.
Don

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Any possible show location has got to have a strong and capable collecting community that is willing to do the hard work of planning and promoting the show. That's a tough combination to find.

Jerry Blais

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Wow, this is a shock to me. I wasn't planning on going this year, but I guess this is my only chance. While I can drive, I'm not out of the house yet and don't have the freedom to choose to take a trip by myself (If I could I would...). If I somehow am able to make it, I would let some of you guys know, there are people I would love to meet, and this is probably the only opportunity in the foreseeable future.

Martin

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Well that's not good.

Wrt. some future shows in Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, they have poplulations of a few hundred thousand while Chicago has a few million and O'Hare airport. I also think you'd loose a lot of the regulars if you move it out of the Chicago area, myself included.

Not having a viable show in the Midwest will hurt the other shows too as a lot of stuff that changes hands at Union is destined for NJ, FL or CA. The prices of the big stuff will be especially impacted. We'll see... :monkey:

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The phono show at Grayslake, Il already exists, so why couldn't that be built up into a major show? Grayslake is about 50 miles east of Union, not far from O'Hare airport and Barrington is only about 20 miles away. What's not to like?

Jim

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

While I didn't go very often, it was a great experience. Meeting Steven M and Nick, and Mike B was the highlite of my visits there. I have a feeling that like other hobbies, the amount of people now who are into phonographs is probably taking a steep dive. Just look at the photos and it tells you it won't last forever.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I have a feeling that like other hobbies, the amount of people now who are into phonographs is probably taking a steep dive. Just look at the photos and it tells you it won't last forever.
I've been going to the sale in California since the first one and the last two years have been the best ever.

Jerry

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

I agree a Midwest phonograph show would be perfect for the hobby because it is centrally located, making it more convenient for collectors on both coasts to attend. As previously mentioned in this string of posts, the Gray's Lake venue is a great opportunity to continue the "Union" show because it's near the Chicago airports, is a large venue with room to grow, the Zurko's ate strong supporters of the hobby and I believe would be willing to work with our fine organization.

Currently, The Zurkos promote the phonograph hobby with their Accent on Antique Phonographs show during the 2nd week of September and provide free tables and lots of space to APS and WIMAPS members. Another benefit is the proximity to Jasper's, which we all know after this Union show, will no longer be an option, unless the show continues in the Chicago area. Also, hotel rates have been reasonable hovering about $68/night (Zurko show rate.)

It is truly a win-win option for us collectors and future collectors alike. The goal is to keep this hobby alive and well. We all know how wonderful Union has been for the past 44 years. Let's keep it going for another 50 years!

Thanks for the consideration
Last edited by phonohound on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

John Lakey, longtime APS member and contributor, recalled a story published several years detailing the history of Union.

We located that article in the APS archives from In The Groove, published in the April / May 2012 issue, attached here for your download and view.
Attachments
IN The Groove April-May 2012.pdf
(17.17 MiB) Downloaded 167 times

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Thanks, Rod!
Best regards ... AZ*